Preceptors are the stellar role models and committed teachers whom Penn Nursing students depend on to help develop the crucial skills required of them.
Preparing nursing students across all levels of scholarship
Preceptors provide vital translation of classroom, research, and textbook knowledge into tangible skills that prepare nursing students across all levels of scholarship for advanced practice, administration, and clinical care. Hallmarks of a superb preceptor include: practice excellence, commitment to improving outcomes for patients and families, and demonstration of the highest levels of professionalism.
Benefits of Precepting
Although mentoring adds to the many challenges faced by preceptors there are also many benefits. Penn Nursing students are eager to give back and our clinical faculty are dedicated partners working to ensure that students make a meaningful contribution while gaining the crucial skills they require.
Some benefits of precepting include:
- Certification renewal
- Appointment to Clinical Associate (an annual process)
- Online access to Penn Bio-Medical Library Resources including text books (see Access Medicine Tab for texts); must be a clinical associate with PennKey access
- Recognition for service at the Annual Preceptor Event and obtain CEU’s
- Annual award, given during the Annual Preceptor Event, recognizing two Preceptors for excellent service to the School of Nursing and to the profession
- Access to School of Nursing Lecture Series and Nursing Events
- Opportunities to provide lectures to the School of Nursing in your area of expertise
Interested in becoming a preceptor?
If you are interested in precepting for Penn Nursing, please provide us with some information on the following form. If you have additional questions, please contact: Kathleen DeMutis at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (610) 721-9439. The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing seeks highly qualified clinicians across Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey – and beyond. Your commitment to our students’ education is important, meaningful, and deeply appreciated.