Heather Brom, PhD, RN, NP-C is a third year postdoctoral research fellow at the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research and associate fellow of the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics.
- Todd, B, Brom, H, Blunt, E, Dillon, P, Doherty, C, Drayton-Brooks, S, Hung, I, Montgomery, K, Peoples, L, Powell, M, Vanacore, D, Whalen, D, & Aiken, L. (2019). Precepting nurse practitioner students in the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration: A cross-sectional analysis of the preceptor experience. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. [in press]
- Cimiotti, JP, Li, Y, Sloane, DM, Barnes, H, Brom, HM, & Aiken, LH. (2019). Regulation of the Nurse Practitioner Workforce: Implications for Care Across Settings. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 10(2), 31-37. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(19)30113-9
- Kang, X, Brom, H, & McHugh, M. (2019). The Association of Nurse-Physician Teamwork and Mortality in Surgical Patients. Western Journal of Nursing Research. Advance online publication. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0193945919856338
- Brooks Carthon, JM, Hedgeland, T, Brom, H, Hounshell, D, & Cacchione, PZ. (2019). “You only have time for so much in 12 hours” unmet docial needs of hospitalized patient: A qualitative study of acute care nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Advance online publication. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14944
- Brom, H, Brooks Carthon, JM, Ikeaba, U & Chittams, J (2019). Leveraging Electronic Health Records and Machine Learning to Tailor Nursing Care for Patients at High Risk for Readmissions. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000412
- Martsolf, GR, Barnes, H, Richards, MR, Ray, KN, Brom, HM, & McHugh, MD. (2018). Employment of advanced practice clinicians in physician practices. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178(7), 988-990. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.1515
- Brom, HM, Salsberry, PJ, & Graham, MC. (2018). Leveraging health care reform to accelerate nurse practitioner full practice authority. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(3), 120-130. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000023
- Brom, HM, Melnyk, B, Szalacha, L & Graham, M. (2016). Nurse practitioners’ role perception, stress, satisfaction and intent to stay at a midwestern academic medical center. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 28(5). doi: 1002/2327-6924.12278
Dr. Brom’s research interests include examining nurses’ and nurse practitioners’ contributions to improved health outcomes for vulnerable populations utilizing a variety of data sources including electronic health records and larger administrative claims-based data sets. She completed her PhD at The Ohio State University where her dissertation research focused on nurse practitioner scope of practice state legislative changes in the setting of early Affordable Care Act implementation.
Dr. Brom is a certified nurse practitioner with over 10 years of clinical, administrative, and educational experience in the oncology setting. In her role as Director of Advanced Practice at The James Cancer Hospital, she was involved in the development of the APP organizational structure, oversaw the hiring, practice and quality/performance monitoring of APPs. As the Advanced Practice Educator for The James Cancer Hospital, she planned tailored onboarding for new hire APPs, developed and provided oncology-specific education, professional development and evidence-based practice content. She also created and implemented a year-long fellowship for new to practice APPs that consisted of didactic and weekly education and evidence-based practice projects.