Heather Brom, PhD, RN, NP-C is a third year postdoctoral research fellow at the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research and associate fellow of the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics.
- Brooks Carthon, J.M., Brom, H., Poghosyan, L., Daus, M., Todd, B., Aiken, L. 2020. Supportive Clinical Practice Environments Associated with Patient Centered Care. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Squires, A., Germack, H., Muench, U., Stolldorf, D., Witkoski-Stimpfel, A., Yakusheva, O., Brom, H., Harrison, J., Patel, E., Riman, K.A., Martsolf, G. (2019). The interdisciplinary research group on nursing issues: Advancing health services research, policy, regulation, and practice. Journal of Nursing Regulation.
- Todd, B, Brom, H, Blunt, E, Dillon, P, Doherty, C, Drayton-Brooks, S, Hung, I, Montgomery, K, Peoples, L, Powell, M, Vanacore, D, Whalen, D, & Aiken, L. (2019). Precepting nurse practitioner students in the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration: A cross-sectional analysis of the preceptor experience. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.31(11):648-656. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000301.
- Cimiotti, JP, Li, Y, Sloane, DM, Barnes, H, Brom, HM, & Aiken, LH. (2019). Regulation of the Nurse Practitioner Workforce: Implications for Care Across Settings. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 10(2), 31-37. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(19)30113-9
- Kang, X, Brom, H, & McHugh, M. (2019). The Association of Nurse-Physician Teamwork and Mortality in Surgical Patients. Western Journal of Nursing Research. Advance online publication. doi: https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0193945919856338
- Brooks Carthon, JM, Hedgeland, T, Brom, H, Hounshell, D, & Cacchione, PZ. (2019). “You only have time for so much in 12 hours” unmet docial needs of hospitalized patient: A qualitative study of acute care nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing. Advance online publication. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14944
- Brom, H, Brooks Carthon, JM, Ikeaba, U & Chittams, J (2019). Leveraging Electronic Health Records and Machine Learning to Tailor Nursing Care for Patients at High Risk for Readmissions. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000412
- Martsolf, GR, Barnes, H, Richards, MR, Ray, KN, Brom, HM, & McHugh, MD. (2018). Employment of advanced practice clinicians in physician practices. JAMA Internal Medicine, 178(7), 988-990. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.1515
- Brom, HM, Salsberry, PJ, & Graham, MC. (2018). Leveraging health care reform to accelerate nurse practitioner full practice authority. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 30(3), 120-130. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000023
- Brom, HM, Melnyk, B, Szalacha, L & Graham, M. (2016). Nurse practitioners’ role perception, stress, satisfaction and intent to stay at a midwestern academic medical center. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 28(5). doi: 1002/2327-6924.12278
- Brom, H & Brooks Carthon, JM. (2019, July 30). THRIVE: Addressing patients’ social needs after hospitalization. Retrieved from https://ldi.upenn.edu/healthpolicysense/thrive-addressing-patients-social-needs-after-hospitalization
First Author Conference Presentations (* denotes poster presentation)
- *Brom, H, Brooks Carthon, JM, Ikeaba, U & Chittams, J. (2019). Utilizing Machine Learning in the Electronic Health Record of a Safety Net Hospital to Tailor Care for Patients Most at Risk for Readmission. Presented at the AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (Washington, DC, June 2-4, 2019).
- Brom, H, Brooks Carthon, JM, Ikeaba, U, & Chittams, J. (2019). Applying Machine Learning to Identify Patients at High Risk for Readmissions: An Innovative Approach to Target Nursing Care. Presented at the Eastern Nursing Research Society’s 31st Annual Scientific Cessions (Providence, RI, April 3-5, 2019)..
- Brom, H, Udoeyo, I, Chittams, J, & Brooks Carthon, JM. “Post-Hospital Follow-up with Ambulatory Care Services Decreases Emergency Department Utilization within 30-Days.” Submitted to AcademyHealth’s Annual Research Meeting 2020, Boston, MA..
Accepted Abstracts – although pending format for conference given covid19 concerns
- Brom, H, Udoeyo, I, Chittams, J, & Brooks Carthon, JM. “Post-Hospital Follow-up with Ambulatory Care Services Decreases Emergency Department Utilization within 30-Days.” AcademyHealth’s Annual Research Meeting 2020, Boston, MA.
- Brom, H & Grimes, DE. (2019, August 5). APRN Full Practice Authority Evidence [Webinar]. In Campaign for Action Webinars and Learning Collaboratives. Retrieved from https://campaignforaction.org/webinar/aprn-full-practice-authority-evidence-how-do-we-use-this-evidence/
- Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics Small Grant, Influence of Nurse Practitioner Restrictions on Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Diabetes Care, PI: Brooks Carthon, Role: Co-Investigator, $20,000, 1/2018-12/2018.
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Influence of Nurse Practitioner Practice Restrictions on Chronic Disease Health Disparities, PI: Brooks Carthon, Role: Co-Investigator, $300,000, 4/2019 – 3/2021