Ann Kutney-Lee, PhD, MSN, RN, FAAN
Senior Fellow Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics
Assistant Professor Department of Biobehavioral Health Sciences University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Dr. Ann Kutney-LeeHealth currently works as a Research Scientist PROMISE Center Corporal Michael J. Crescenz Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Philadelphia, and is a Senior Fellow Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Kutney-Lee’s reserach is focused on the effects of nursing care organization on patient outcomes, redesigned systems that can work more efficiently to provide equitable and high-quality patient care, and the adoption of technological innovations (e.g. electronic health records) and how they are correlated to patient outcomes.
2014 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
Top 15 Most Read Health Affairs Articles for 2013: “An increase in the number of nurses with baccalaureate degrees is linked to lower rates of post surgery mortality. Health Affairs, 32(3), 579-586.
Kutney-Lee, A., Smith, D., Thorpe, J., del Rosario, C., Ibrahim, S., & Ersek, M. (2016). Race/Ethnicity and end-of-life care among Veterans. Under review.
Lake, E.T, Hallowell, S., Kutney-Lee, A., Hatfield, L., Del Guidice, M., Boxer, B., Ellis, L, … Aiken, L.H. (2015). Higher quality of care and patient safety associated with better NICU work environments. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. In press.
Kutney-Lee, A., Witkoski Stimpfel, A., Sloane, D.M., Cimiotti, J., Quinn, L.W., & Aiken, L.H. (2015). Changes in patient and nurse outcomes associated with Magnet hospital designation. Medical Care, 53(6), 550-557.
Brooks Carthon, M., Lasater, K., Sloane, D.M., & Kutney-Lee, A. (2015). Omitted nursing care linked to heart failure hospital readmissions. BMJ Quality and Safety, 24(4):255-63.
Kutney-Lee, A., Brennan, C.W., Meterko, M. & Ersek, M. (2015). Organization of nursing and quality of care for Veterans at the end of life. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 49(3):570-7.
Kelly, D.M., Kutney-Lee, A., McHugh, M.D., Sloane, D.M. & Aiken, L.H. (2014). Impact of critical care nursing on 30-day mortality of mechanically ventilated older adults. Critical Care Medicine, 42, 1089-1095.10.1097/CCM.0000000000000127
- You, L.M.; Aiken, L.H.; Sloane, D.M.; Liu, K.; He, G.; Hu, Y….Kutney-Lee, A. & Sermeus, W. (2013). Hospital nursing, care quality, and patient satisfaction: Cross-sectional surveys of nurses and patients in hospitals in China and Europe.. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50(2), 154-161.PMID: 22658468
- Kutney-Lee, A., Sloane, D.M., & Aiken, L.H. (2013). An increase in the number of nurses with baccalaureate degrees is linked to lower rates of postsurgery mortality. Health Affairs, 32(3), 579-586.
- Brooks Carthon, M., Jarrin, O., Sloane, D.M., & Kutney-Lee, A. (2013). Variations in postoperative complications across race, ethnicity and sex among older adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 61(9), 1499-1507.
- Kutney-Lee, A. Wu, E., Sloane, D., Aiken, L.H. (2013). Effects of changes in hospital nurse work environments and nurse job outcomes: An analysis of panel data. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50(2), 195-201.PMID: 22902135
- Kelly, D., Kutney-Lee, A., Lake, E.T. & Aiken, L.H. (2013). The critical care work environment and nurse-reported healthcare-associated infections. American Journal of Critical Care, 22, 482-488.
- Aiken, L.H., Sermus, W., Van den Heede, K., Kutney-Lee, A., et al. (2012). Patient safety, satisfaction, and quality of hospital care: Cross-sectional surveys of nurses and patients in 12 countries in Europe and the United States. British Medical Journal, 344(7851), 42383.
- Brooks Carthon, M., Kutney-Lee, A., Jarrin, O., Sloane, D.M. & Aiken, L.H. (2012). Nurse staffing and post-surgical outcomes in older Balck patients. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 60(6), 1078-1084.
- McHugh, M. D., Kutney-Lee, A., Sloane, D. M., Cimiotti, J. P. & Aiken, L. H. (2011). Nurses’ widespread job dissatisfaction, burnout, and frustration with health benefits signal problems for patient care. Health Affairs, 30(2), 202-210.
- Blank, M. B., Hanrahan, N. P., Fishbein, M., Wu, E., Tennille, J., Ten Have, T., Kutney-Lee, A., Aiken, L. H. (2011). A randomized trial of a nursing intervention for HIV disease management for persons with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 62(11), 1318-1324.