Nancy P. Hanrahan, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston
Dr. Hanrahan led the innovation and technology development program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, and won national and international awards for her work with mobile apps and other innovative technology. Her career focuses on psychiatric mental health nursing, in which she is a national leader and does important work in documenting the psychiatric nurse workforce and system-level mental health services research.
Dr. Hanrahan worked heavily on the team of Penn professors to develop a post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) Toolkit that has become an integral part of the White House’s new program to enhance health care services for veterans, under the Obama administration.
2014 Award for Excellence in Media APNA
2015 International Awards For Nursing Excellence by Sigma Theta Tau International recipient for Best Practice in Technology
Hanrahan, N. P., Bressi, S., Marcus, S. C., & Solomon, P. (2016). Examining the impact of comorbid serious mental illness on rehospitalization among medical and surgical inpatients. General Hospital Psychiatry, 42, 36-40.
Petros, R., Solomon, P., Linz, S., DeCesaris, M., & Hanrahan, N. P. (2015). Autovideography: The Lived Experience of Recovery for Adults with Serious Mental Illness. Psychiatric Quarterly, 1-10.
Silverman, B. G., Hanrahan, N., Huang, L., Rabinowitz, E. F., & Lim, S. (2015). Artificial Intelligence and Human Behavior Modeling and Simulation for Mental Health Conditions. Artificial Intelligence in Behavioral and Mental Health Care, 163.
Silverman, B. G., Hanrahan, N., Bharathy, G., Gordon, K., & Johnson, D. (2015). A systems approach to healthcare: agent-based modeling, community mental health, and population well-being. Artificial intelligence in medicine, 63(2), 61-71.
- Hanrahan, N.P., Delaney, K., & Stuart, G. (in press). Blueprint for developing the advanced practice psychiatric nurse workforce. Nursing Outlook, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Kelly, A., Delaney, K., Cirpili, A., Aown, T., Gordon-Bower, J., Loucks, J., & Ripique, R.J. (in press). Position statement on staffing inpatient psychiatric units. American Psychiatric Nurses Association Policy Brief, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Darling, K., Black, P., Kumar, A., & Cabbage, L. (in press). Quality improvement strategic plan for people with mental illness and addiction. American Psychiatric Nurses Association Policy Brief, .
- Silverman, B.G., Hanrahan, N.P.. Warner, J., Michan, Z., Zhang, L., Gordon, K., Bharathy, G., Kreider, M., Krumbhaar., A., & Johnson,D. (in press). A systems approach to healthcare: Agent based modeling, community mental health, and population well-being. International Journal of Medical Informatics, .
- Hanrahan, N.P. (in press). Mental health policy brief: State of the future. Nursing Outlook, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Solomon, P., Hurford, M., Josey, L., Yuleman, K., & DeCesaris, M. (in press). Translation of a transitional care model for individuals with serious mental illness. Medical Care, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Delaney, K., & Merwin, E. (in press). Health care reform and the federal transformation initiatives: Capitalizing on the potential of advanced practice psychiatric nurses. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Wu, E., Marcotte, J., Kelly, D., Ma, C., Aiken, L., et al. (in press). Randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of home-based advanced practice nursing on outcomes for individuals with serious mental illness and HIV. American Journal of Public Health, .
- Hanrahan, N.P., Kenny-Rolin, D., Roman, J., Kumar, A., Aiken, L., & Blank, M.B. (in press). Promoting self-care management in individuals with serious mental illness and HIV. Home Health Care Management & Practice, .
- Hanrahan, N.P. (in press). Review of the Science: The influence of the inpatient psychiatric environment on nurse job dissatisfaction and burnout. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, .