Patsy Yates, PhD, RN, FACN, FAAN
Head, School of Nursing, Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
Director, Centre for Palliative Care Research and Education, Queensland Health
Visiting Research Fellow, Princess Alexandra Hospital
Director, Cancer Nursing Professorial Precinct, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
Senior Fellow, Centre for Health Outcomes and Policy Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Distinguished Professor, Dr. Patsy Yates, leads a program of research focused on advancing understanding of the experiences of people affected by cancer and health system interventions to improve services for people affected by cancer. She has conducted several large scale trials of novel interventions and service delivery models to improve patients’ symptom outcomes and quality of life. Patsy is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and has been inducted into the Sigma Theta Tau International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame.
- 2018, Awarded the title of Distinguished Professor by Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- 2018, Awarded the Distinguished Researcher Award by the Oncology Nursing Society, USA
- 2018, Awarded the AQNML 2018 Outstanding Achievement in Nursing/Midwifery Award
- 2017, Awarded a QuARRIES Award for Best Consumer Focused Project – DEM Avoidance Project – Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, Metro North Health Service District
- 2014, Awarded Premier’s Award for Excellence in Leadership, Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, Metro North Hospital and Health Service
- Tindle, D., Windsor, C. & Yates, P. Centralizing temporality in adolescent and young cancer survivorship. Qualitative Health Research, Epub September 2018.
- Johnson, C.E., McVey, P., Rhee, J.J.-O., Senior, H., Monterosso, L., Williams, B., Fallon-Ferguson, J., Grant, M., Nwachukwu, H., Aubin, M., Yates, P. & Mitchell, G. General practice palliative care: patient and carer expectations, advance care plans and place of death – a systematic review. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, Epub July 2018.
- Hudson, A.P., Spooner, A.J., Booth, N., Penny, R.A., Gordon, L.G., Downer, T.-R., Yates, P., Henderson, R., Bradford, N., Conway, A., O’Donnell, C., Geary, A. & Chan, R. Qualitative insights of patients and carers under the care of nurse navigators. Collegian, Epub May 2018
- Ekberg, S., Bradford, N., Herbert, A., Danby, S & Yates, P. Healthcare users’ experiences of communicating with healthcare professionals about children who have life-limiting conditions: A qualitative systematic review. Journal of Palliative Medicine, Epub May 2018
- Shahid, S., Ekberg, S., Holloway, M., Jacka, C., Yates, P., Garvey, G. & Thompson, S. Experiential learning to increase palliative care competence among the Indigenous workforce: an Australian experience. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, Epub January 2018.
- Mitchell, G., Senior, H., Johnson, C., Fallon–Ferguson, J., Williams, B., Monterosso, L., Rhee, J., McVey, P., Grant, M., Aubin, M., Nwachukwu, H. & Yates, P. Systematic review of general practice end-of-life symptom control. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, Epub January 2018.
- Conway, A., O’Donnell, C. & Yates, P. The effectiveness of the nurse care coordinator role on patient-reported and health service outcomes: a systematic review. Evaluation and the Health Professions, Epub October 2017.
- Ekberg, S., Danby, S., Herbert, A., Bradford, N. & Yates, P. Affording opportunities to discuss deterioration in paediatric palliative care consultations: a conversation analytic study. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, Epub March 2017.
- McCarthy, A.L., Pell, N.M., Gillespie, K.M., Berry, R., Walpole, E., Yates, P. & Hubbard, R.E. (2018) Validation of a frailty index in older cancer patients with solid tumours. BMC Cancer, 18:892.
- Seib, C., Porter-Steele, J., Ng, S.K., Turner, J., McGuire, A., McDonald, N., Balaam, S., Yates, P., McCarthy, A. & Anderson, D. Life stress and symptoms of anxiety and depression in women after cancer: The mediating effect of stress appraisal and coping. Psycho-Oncology, 27(7), 1787-1794.