Luk Bruyneel, PhD, RN
Post-doctoral researcher, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.
Staff, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
Luk Bruyneel is a research fellow at the Leuven Institute for Healthcare Policy at KU Leuven, Belgium. He received a Master’s degree in Nursing in 2008. That year, he joined the Registered Nurse Forecasting (RN4CAST) consortium, which is directed by prof. Walter Sermeus (KU Leuven) and prof. Linda Aiken (University of Pennsylvania). This consortium of 19 countries studies the association between the organization of nursing care, nurse wellbeing and patient outcomes. Luk became passionate about this field of research, with a particular interest in knowledge gaps that result from statistical challenges, and completed his PhD in 2015. During his PhD, he received Master’s degrees in Economic Policy (2013) and Statistics (2015) from KU Leuven. In 2015 he was a visiting scholar at King’s College London, where he worked under the supervision of prof. Anne Marie Rafferty.
- Scholarship for participation in the Emerging Scholars Forum 2015. Organized by the Lawrence S Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Scholarship, Awarded by the KU Leuven Research Council within the YouReCa Junior Mobility Programme.
- ASPHER Scholar for the European Health Forum Gastein 2014, Financed by The Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region.
- Anja Braet, Walter Sermeus, Luk Bruyneel, Caroline Weltens. The quality of care transitions: a hospital-based cohort study of patient groups with high and low readmission rates. International Journal of Care Coordination, 2016.
- Benedict Orindi, Emmanuel Lesaffre, Walter Sermeus, Luk Bruyneel. Impact of cross-level measurement non-invariance on hospital rankings based on patient experiences with care in 7 European countries. Medical Care, 2016. IF 3.232, 15/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).
- Claudia Leone, Luk Bruyneel, Janet E Anderson, Trevor Murrells, Gilles Dussault, Elvio Henriques de Jesus, Walter Sermeus, Linda Aiken, Anne Marie Rafferty. Work Environment issues and intention-to-leave in Portuguese nurses: a cross-sectional study. Health Policy, 2015. IF 1.907, 37/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).
- Luk Bruyneel, Baoyue Li, Dietmar Ausserhofer, Irina Dumitrescu, Emmanuel Lesaffre, Herbert L Smith, Douglas M Sloane, Linda H Aiken, Walter Sermeus. Organization of hospital nursing, provision of nursing care, and patient experiences with care in Europe. Medical Care Research and Review, 2015, Epub ahead of print. IF 2.615, 22/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).
- Peter Griffiths, Chiara Dall’Ora, Michael Simon, Jane Ball, Rikard Lindqvist, Anne-Marie Rafferty, Lisette Schoonhoven, Carol Tishelman Linda H Aiken for the RN4CAST consortium. Nurses’ shift length and overtime working in 12 European countries: the association with perceived quality of care and patient safety. Medical Care, 2015. IF 3.232, 15/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).
- Linda H Aiken, Douglas M Sloane, Luk Bruyneel, Peter Griffiths, Walter Sermeus. Staffing and education of nurses and hospital mortality in Europe-Author’s reply. The Lancet, 2014. IF 39.060, 2/155 in Medicine – General & Internal (JCR Science).
- Luk Bruyneel, Baoyue Li, Allison Squires, Sara Spotbeen, Emmanuel Lesaffre, Walter Sermeus. Bayesian multilevel MIMIC modeling for studying measurement invariance in cross-group comparisons. Medical Care, 2014. IF 3.232, 15/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).
- Linda H Aiken, Douglas M Sloane, Luk Bruyneel, Koen Van den Heede, Peter Griffiths, Reinhard Busse, Marianna Diomidous, Juha Kinnunen, Maria Kózka, Emmanuel Lesaffre, Matthew D McHugh, Maria Teresa Moreno-Casbas, Anne Marie Rafferty, Rene Schwendimann, Carol Tishelman, Theo van Achterberg, Walter Sermeus, for the RN4CAST consortium. Nurse staffing and education and hospital mortality in nine European countries: a retrospective observational study. The Lancet, 2014. IF 39.060, 2/155 in Medicine – General & Internal (JCR Science).
- Baoyue Li, Luk Bruyneel, Emmanuel Lesaffre. A multivariate multilevel Gaussian model with a mixed effects structure in the mean and covariance part. Statistics in Medicine, 2014. IF 1.825, 16/122 in Statistics & Probability (JCR Science).
- Dietmar Ausserhofer, Britta Zander, Reinhard Busse, Sabina De Geest, Jane Ball, Anne Scott, Juha Kinnunen, Maud Heinen, Ingeborg Stromseng Sjetne, Teresa Moreno-Casbas, Maria Kozka, Rikard Lindqvist, Marianna Diomidous, Luk Bruyneel, Walter Sermeus, Linda Aiken, Rene Schwendimann. Prevalence, patterns and predictors of nursing care left undone in European hospitals: results from the multicountry cross-sectional RN4CAST study. BMJ Quality & Safety, 2014. IF 3.988, 5/88 in Health Care Sciences & Services (JCR Science).