Frances Hughes, RN, BA, MA, DNurs, Col (ret), JP, ONZM
Chief Executive Officer of the International Council of Nurses.
Dr Frances Hughes was appointed as Chief Executive Officer of the International Council of Nurses in February 2016. Immediately prior to this, she held the role of Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer, Queensland, Australia, and also served as Chief Nurse for New Zealand. From 2005-2011, Dr Hughes worked for the World Health Organization with 16 countries in the Pacific region, supporting them to develop policy and plans to improve mental health for consumers in the Pacific. Qualified as a general and psychiatric health nurse, Dr Hughes has a Doctor of Nursing degree from the University of Technology, Sydney. She has held senior roles for many years across a range of organisations and served as the Commandant Colonel for the Royal New Zealand Nursing Corp. Dr Hughes has an extensive publication record and has received several awards for her work.
- 2014 Credentialed as Mental Health Nurse- ACMHN
- 2013 Massey University Distinguished Alumni Award for Services
- 2011 Awarded New Zealand Fulbright Senior Scholar Award for research in the USA
- 2012/2013- Sustaining hospital services in areas prone to natural disaster
- Padraig O’Luanaigh & Hughes, F. 2015. The nurse executive role in quality and high performing health. Journal of Nursing Management DOI:10.1111/johnm.12290
- Hennessy, J & Hughes, F. 2014. Appreciative Inquiry. A research tool for mental health services Journal of Psychosocial Nursing Vol 52 , No6 p34-40
- Hughes, F. 2013 Mental Health Nurses and Consumers of Mental Health Services Journal of Psychosocial Nursing Vol51, No5 p3-4
- North, N & Hughes, F. 2012. “A systems approach to nursing productivity”, Journal of Health Organization and Management, Vol. 26 Iss: 2
- Hayes, L.J, O’Brien-Pallas, L., Duffield, C., Shamian, S., Buchan, J., Hughes, F., Spence Laschinger, H. K., North, N., Stone, P. W. 2012. Nurse Turnover: a literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies; 49: 887-905