Caroline L. Doherty, MSN, AGACNP, BC, AACC
The Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP Streamlined Post-Masters is an innovate way to educate primary care nurse practitioners who have been working with the acutely ill so that they can become certified in acute care.
“We give acute care nurse practitioner students an extraordinary education and push them to achieve the most that they can.”
- MSN-ACNP, University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- BSN , Villanova University, 1988
Ms Doherty is the coordinator of the palliative care minor and post-masters. In this role, she serves as a mentor to students who want to expand their knowledge and skills related to patients with serious illnesses.
Opportunities to Learn and Collaborate at Penn Nursing
Inter-professional opportunities are also available to acute care nurse practitioner students through Penn Nursing’s simulation learning labs. Ms. Doherty worked with a team to develop inter-professional simulations as part of various courses. These simulations bring together nurse practitioner , pharmacist , and physician assistant students who evaluate simulated (robotic) patients with acute care problems. The team collaborates in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of each patient who presents with acute symptoms, and develops a plan of care.
In the classroom, Ms. Doherty guest lectures on topics such as breaking bad news and cardiovascular issues. She also advises undergraduate and graduate students on their studies and career opportunities after graduation.
Selected Career Highlights
Other Selected Career Highlights
- Content expert, national certification exam, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Member, Geriatrics Section and Palliative Care Working Group, American College of Cardiology
- Abstract reviewer, American College of Cardiology Annual Sessions
Pawlow, P, Dahlin, C, Doherty, C, Ersek, M. (2018). The Hospice and Palliative Care Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Workforce: Results of a National Survey. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing. 20 (4). 349-357.
Packel, L, Klusaritz, H, Kearney, M, Hadley, D, Gibbs, V, Doherty, C, & Poon, C. (2018). An Innovative Inter professional Simulation: Preparing Students to Tackle the Challenge of Care Transitions.Health and Inter professional Practice 3 (3).
Doherty, C, Pawlow, P. & Becker, D. (2018) The consensus model: What current and future NPs need to know. American Nurse Today. 13 (1): 65-68.
Becker, D. & Doherty, C. (2017) Emerging Roles of the Advanced Practice Nurse. In Advanced Practice Nursing: Essentials for Role Development. Ed Joel, L. 4th edition. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Co. (4th edition in press)
Wenger, N, Doherty, C, Gurwitz, J, Hirsch, J, Holmes, H, Maurer, M, & Murray, M. (2017). Optimization of Drug Prescription and Medication Management in older patients with cardiovascular disease. Drugs and Aging 34 (11): 803-810.
Blume, E., Hauptman, P., Gauvreau,K., Cooper, S., Goodlin, S., Swetz,K., Alpert, C., Hummel, S., Josephson, R., Doherty, C., Salazar, J., Maurer, M., Cestoni, A., Bohannon, K., Light-McGroary, K., and Kirkpatrick, J. (2017).Deactivation of Ventricular Assist Devices: Perspectives and Experiences of Adult Cardiovascular Providers Jl of Cardiac Failure 23 (6): 485-6.
Gardenier, D, Pawlow, P. and Doherty, C. (2016) Should palliative care NPs be required to have acute care training? Journal for Nurse Practitioners 12 (8): 514-15.
- Jangland, E.; Becker, D.; Borjeson, S.; Doherty, C.; Grimm, O.; Griffith, P.; et al (2014). The development of a Swedish nurse practitioner program - a request from clinicians and a process supported by US experience. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 14(2), 38-48.10.5430/jnep.v4n2p38
- Becker, D. & Doherty, C. (2012). Emerging Roles of the Advanced Practice Nurse. In L. Joel (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing:Essentials for Role Development.. (3rd Ed.)(19-39). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company.
- Doherty, C. (2011). Resistant hypertension or Aortic Stenosis. Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 6(5), 13-16.