Penn Nursing Updates - Week of April 12th
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
Please see important information below:
- REGISTER NOW – First Annual Penn Nursing PhD Research Day Event (4/15 at 4:30pm) – Please join us for Penn Nursing’s Inaugural PhD Annual Research Day Event to learn about some of the amazing work being done by our PhD students and postdocs. A keynote address will be delivered by Penn Nursing Assistant Professor, Melanie Kornides, ScD, RN, FNP-BC. Interested students can register online.
- SAY THANK YOU to a Penn Medicine Nurse: As this year winds down, Penn Nursing will be closing out the Year of the Nurse and Midwife with a thank you to a very special group pf nurses: the nurses of the Penn Medicine health system. During the past year, the nurses of Penn Medicine served on the frontlines of the healthcare system. They also served as preceptors, mentors, and teachers to many Penn Nursing students. We are offering YOU, the chance to be part of this special thank you. Please take a photo of yourself holding up a “thank you” sign. Feel free to be creative in expressing your gratitude to the nurses that have been part of your year at Penn. Please submit all photos to NursingAlumni@nursing.upenn.edu by Friday, April 23.
- Is Fulbright right for you? The Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships (CURF) is pleased to announce that the Fulbright U.S. Student Program application cycle is underway for applicants who would take up their grants in 2022-2023. Interested students may request access to the CURF’s Fulbright Canvas site by submitting this brief online form and learn more at their official Fulbright website.
- Career Jump Start & Salary While in School for Nursing (BSN) Students with the U.S. Public Health Service: Calling all BSN students! Below is an opportunity to participate in a paid externship called the Senior Commissioned Officer Student Training Externship Program (SRCOSTEP). The U.S. Public Health Services (USPHS), America’s healthcare first responders, is looking to recruit bright and driven health professional students through the SRCOSTEP program! Interested students can learn more online or contact USPHS BOP recruiter at BOP-HSD/SRCOSTEPS@bop.gov.
- Penn Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program: Join the Penn Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program for a shadowing experience, informational interview, career advice or just some encouragement from Penn Nursing Alumni. Join the program to connect and develop your Penn Nursing network. To sign up complete the survey here. If you have any questions about the mentoring program, contact the Penn Nursing Alumni Relations team at NursingAlumni@nursing.upenn.edu.
- Thursday, April 15 - (Virtual) 16th Claire M. Fagin Distinguished Researcher Award: The Claire M. Fagin Distinguished Researcher Award has been established to honor the best scholarly qualities that Professor Claire M. Fagin exemplified in her long, productive career. This biennial award will be given to a University of Pennsylvania nursing faculty member or a graduate from the School’s doctoral program who has made a distinguished contribution to nursing scholarship. Interested guests can register online.
- Wednesday, April 21 - Research and Innovation Colloquium: The Office of Nursing Research invites all students to the next virtual colloquium event, Nurses and Midwives: We Deliver! Sigma Theta Tau Presentation. All attendees must pre-register online to attend and can view more information from past colloquium’s online.
Wednesday, April 21 (& ongoing) Weekly Virtual Financial Aid Student Hours: All nursing students are invited to sign on with the Financial Aid team each Wednesday this Spring. The team welcomes all inquiries, and plans to respond ‘generally’ to protect personal information (specific follow up will be scheduled with a 1:1 appointment). Please join us at 12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. via BlueJeans.
- Please save this information for your quick reference.
- Meeting URL - https://bluejeans.com/8064576986?src=join_info
- Meeting ID: 806 457 6986
- Want to dial in from a phone? Dial one of the following numbers:
- +1.408.419.1715 (United States(San Jose))
- +1.408.915.6290 (United States(San Jose))
- Enter the meeting ID and passcode followed by #
- Thursday, April 29 - Reducing Maternal Mortality: Please join the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing’s Center for Global Women’s Health and national maternal health experts from nursing, midwifery, medicine, public health, policy, and advocacy to explore multilevel approaches to reducing maternal morbidity and mortality in the United States. Interested students can pre-register online.
- Friday, May 7 - Lavender Graduation: All Penn graduate, professional, and undergraduate students who are graduating this May or graduated December 2020 are welcome to register for this year’s virtual celebration of Penn’s LGBTQ+ graduates. Interested individuals must register online.
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements which can be found archived online. As always, we are available for virtual appointments or by email. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
While the weather was a little dreary today, next week appears to be beautiful and sunny. Please take time to stop and enjoy the beautiful spring flowers – we all need those little moments of joy.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs