Penn Nursing Updates - Week of March 15th
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
Please see important information below:
- Restricted Traveling: As you plan your upcoming Rest and Recharge days this spring semester, remember your decisions impact the lives and health of your pod, classmates, colleagues, and our West Philadelphia neighbors. Students are not to travel. If for some reason, travel is unavoidable, that travel needs to be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org, as outlined in the Student COVID-19 Related Clinical Compact. Failure to abide by the Compact policies will result in incomplete clinical hours and may delay graduation.
- 2x Upload Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination: Students should upload proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination in 2 places. If you have received the COVID vaccine, please:
- 1. Upload proof of vaccination to Complio. Students will not be marked noncompliant if proof of vaccination is not uploaded.
- 2. Notify Student Health Services (SHS) of proof of vaccination by uploading all documentation to the online student health services portal. If you have questions, please reach out to the Immunization Office at email@example.com. SHS must see that proof of vaccination with exact dates of the vaccine to determine whether you need to quarantine or not.
- Staying Involved at Penn Nursing: As a reminder, all students have an opportunity to get involved at Penn Nursing. On, Wednesday 3/17/2021, the existing Penn Nursing student organizations met with Dean Sochalski and Dean Costanzo to discuss: Penn Nursing’s ongoing social justice initiatives, graduation 2021 planning, spring/summer COVID-19 testing, as well as student organization funding. Students are encouraged to reach out to these student leaders to find out more. You can find a comprehensive list of student leaders online here.
- Wednesday, March 17 at 8:00 pm - Introduction to Irish Dance class: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a 45-min dance class. This program is hosted by Kaitlin, BSN student on the Nursing Student Wellness Advisory Board All you need is some stretchy pants and a bit of open floor space. Open to friends and family. Register for Link.
- Monday, March 22 - Friday, March 26: PENN NURSING WEEK: View the schedule of events for Penn Nursing Week here.
- Tuesday, March 23 (& ongoing) - Professional Development and Career Resource Opportunities: The Weitzman School presents the Entrepreneur in Residence Program, with Stuart Weitzman, W’63, Founder and Chairman Emeritus, Stuart Weitzman LLC. The award-winning designer and footwear icon will host student sessions to discuss building his company, creating marketing and branding strategies, and understanding the value of design. The Entrepreneur-in-Residence sessions will be hosted virtually by the Weitzman School and are open to all Penn students. Interested students can learn more and register online.
- Wednesday, March 24 - Research and Innovation Colloquium: The Office of Nursing Research invites all students to the next virtual colloquium event, Postdoctoral Lightning Science Session. Postdoctoral fellows will have 5 minutes to whet your appetite with their science followed by up to 5 minutes of Q&A. All attendees must pre-register online to attend and can view more information from past colloquium’s online.
- Wednesday, March 24 (& ongoing) Weekly Virtual Financial Aid Student Hours: All nursing students are invited to sign on with the Financial Aid team each Wednesday this Spring. The team welcomes all inquiries, and plans to respond ‘generally’ to protect personal information (specific follow up will be scheduled with a 1:1 appointment). Please join us at 12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. via Bluejeans.
- Please save this information for your quick reference.
- Meeting URL - https://bluejeans.com/8064576986?src=join_info
- Meeting ID: 806 457 6986
- Want to dial in from a phone? Dial one of the following numbers:
- +1.408.419.1715 (United States(San Jose))
- +1.408.915.6290 (United States(San Jose))
- Enter the meeting ID and passcode followed by #
- Thursday, March 25 - A Good Provider is One Who Leaves: Global Migration and Nursing: Join Dean Villarruel for a discussion with Jason DeParle, author of A Good Provider is One Who Leaves, along with migration and workforce experts Barbara Nichols and Michelle Leighton, for a global discussion of Nursing and migration. Advanced reading of the book is not required. Interested students can register online.
- Friday, March 26 – Samuel P. Martin, III, MD Memorial Lecture: In Pursuit of Equity, Race, Novel Drugs and Health in the U.S.: Dr. Essien’s leadership in advancing health equity during COVID-19 led him to be named among the “Top 50 Experts to Trust During a Pandemic” by Medium, and he was recently recognized by Business Insider as one of “30 Leaders under 40 Transforming Healthcare.” Interested students can learn more and register online.
- Saturday, March 27 - The Pennsylvania Coalition of Nurse Practitioners (PCNP) is holding a virtual Student Symposium designed to help Nurse Practitioner students who are at or nearing their transition from student to practice. Students can learn more about the Symposium and can register through the event website. The cost of the event is $50 for PCNP members and $100 for non-members - non-members receive a PCNP membership for one year. The attendees are provided an electronic booklet containing valuable information and resources to help them navigate the next steps in their career.
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements which can be found archived online. As always, we are available for virtual appointments or by email. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
As we approach the first day of Spring this weekend, I hope you take the time to enjoy the outdoors and the sunshine we are expecting. I look forward to seeing some of you next week for Nursing Week!
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs