Penn Nursing Updates: week of November 30th
Dear School of Nursing Students,
As we approach the last few weeks of the Fall 2020 semester (wow – can’t believe I am writing that), please see important information below:
- University Undergraduate Spring 2021 Calendar Updates: Earlier today, President Gutmann and Provost Pritchett sent a message to all Penn undergraduate students regarding three days in the spring semester which will feature Year of Civic Engagement events in lieu of academic coursework. Please check your email for more information.
- Staying Involved at Penn Nursing: As a reminder, all students have an opportunity to get involved at Penn Nursing. On, Wednesday 11/18/2020, the existing Penn Nursing student organizations met with Dean Villarruel, Dr. Sochalski, Dr. Lewis, and staff members of the Office of Academic Affairs to discuss: testing/quarantine requirements, Spring 2021 planning as of today (housing, clinicals) and Penn Nursing’s commitment to advancing social justice. Students are encouraged to reach out to these student leaders to find out more. You can find a comprehensive list of student leaders online here.
- Penn Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program: Students are invited to sign up for our Penn Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program for a shadowing experience, informational interview, career advice or just some encouragement. To sign up as a mentee, complete the survey here. If you have any questions about the mentoring program, contact the Penn Nursing Alumni Relations team at NursingAlumni@nursing.upenn.edu.
- COVID-19 Dashboard: In order to protect students, faculty, staff, and the community surrounding Penn, the University of Pennsylvania has developed a strategy for weekly screening for COVID-19 for those with sustained presence on campus in group settings. To view this updated report, visit the online dashboard.
- Wednesday, December 2: Belly of the Beast Screening: In partnership with the Reproductive Health Access Project- Pennsylvania Cluster, and Nurses for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Penn Nursing’s Dr. Holly Harner will moderate a screening of Belly of the Beast. Students can learn more and register online. This event is free of charge and open to all students.
- Saturday, December 5 - PennDemic 3 (Virtual edition): PennDemic is an annual interprofessional simulation addressing the circumstances around an actual or impending emergency or disaster. The event runs from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. EST. to allow our west coast students to participate (without losing sleep!). Students can register online here or contact email@example.com for more information. This event is free of charge and open to students from all schools/majors at Penn.
- Tuesday, December 8 (& ongoing) - Library 101: Are you working on a paper and need to quickly get your hands on books, articles, or other media from the Penn Libraries? Discover the best way to request something for pick up at Van Pelt Library, or have it mailed directly to your door, or to receive a PDF scan of an article or book chapter. Library 101 will make it easy and has the answers for you. For more information or if interested in attending, register online here.
- Wednesday, December 9: Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Stress Management workshop: Are you a nursing student feeling overwhelmed and increasingly anxious? Are you struggling to balance virtual learning and clinical experience? Does working in person leave you feeling nervous? This workshop hosted by CAPS will feature strategies for managing stress and fostering resiliency. We’ll discuss the causes and signs of stress, effective coping strategies, ways to balance virtual learning and real life, and provide available resources through the Wellness Division. Students can register online here.
- Wednesday, December 9, 6pm: Wellness at Penn Community Conversation: Coming Together to Share a Story: Dean Erika James from the Wharton School will be the next speaker for this series. For those interested in attending, please RSVP by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday, December 9 (& ongoing) Weekly Virtual Financial Aid Student Hours: As we begin to think about the spring semester, all nursing students are still invited to sign on with the Financial Aid team each Wednesday this Fall. The team welcomes all inquiries, and plans to respond ‘generally’ to protect personal information (specific follow up will be scheduled with a 1:1 appointment). Please join us at 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. via Bluejeans.
- Please save this information for your quick reference.
- Meeting URL - https://bluejeans.com/8064576986?src=join_info
- Meeting ID: 806 457 6986
- Want to dial in from a phone? Dial one of the following numbers:
- +1.408.419.1715 (United States(San Jose))
- +1.408.915.6290 (United States(San Jose))
- Enter the meeting ID and passcode followed by #
- Friday, December 11 - Monthly Alumni-Student Networking Series: Join Penn Nursing Alumni for our first Alumni-Student Networking on Friday, December 11 at 2:00 p.m. This will be an opportunity to connect with fellow students and alumni in various fields about job experience, life after graduation, and more! Share job-hunting tips and insights on managing your career and education. Students can register online here.
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements which can be found archived online. As always, we are available for virtual appointments or by email. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs