SON Updates: Week of August 10, 2020
Dear School of Nursing Students,
As you know, information for the fall semester is rapidly being updated. Throughout these updates, you will continue to receive information as it becomes verified and available. For now, please see below:
University housing: The Provost’s Office has informed the School of Nursing that nursing students who are registered for a course with an in-person clinical or simulation lab component AND were assigned University housing this fall must complete the online Housing Exception Form by 5:00p.m. on Monday, August 17, 2020.
- The School of Nursing has decided that second-year simulation (NURS 164) will be virtual for the fall semester. Incoming first-year students do not have classes with a clinical or simulation component, and therefore would be not be eligible to apply for a housing exception. With only very limited exceptions for international students and those students dealing with significant housing or personal hardships, University Housing will not be able to accommodate undergraduate students in the fall term.
- COVID-19 student testing: Beginning this week, the University’s Student Health Services will begin contacting all students with details regarding mandatory on-campus testing for COVID-19. Students should keep a look out for this communication through their Penn email. Please also continue to check the Wellness Services COVID-19 FAQ for important updates on the following topics: quarantining before arrival to campus, testing, contact tracing, isolation/quarantine, PennOpen Pass, and Campus Life. Learn more online at https://wellness.upenn.edu/coronavirus/.
- Penn Nursing Student COVID-19 Related Clinical Compact: The School of Nursing has finalized its student clinical compact that all students must electronically review, sign, and submit in order to participate in clinical and simulation training. Students will receive an automated email from Complio once this is ready to review, as well as a separate email containing instructions on how to electronically review, sign, and submit.
- PennOpen Pass: As a reminder, all students must perform daily symptom checks using PennOpen Pass before the start of each day, regardless of whether they are reporting to campus on that particular day. Daily tracking is critical to reducing the spread of COVID19. Students are required to show the pass when entering Fagin Hall or to their clinical instructor/preceptor upon arrival to their clinical site. Learn more online about PennOpen Pass and to view the implementation toolkit.
- Picking up your PennCard: The Office of Academic Affairs is working with the PennCard Center and staff at Fagin Hall to distribute PennCards to new students required to enter the building for simulation in the Fall. Stay tuned for dates of distribution.
- Remaining Summer Student Hours: We thank those of you who have been able to join our ongoing summer “Student Hours” and appreciate the questions that you have brought. The final three dates are Wednesday, 8/12, 8/19, and 8/26. We are in the process of establishing how to best offer student hours during the fall semester. If you have suggestions for how to achieve this, please email them to Dann Truitt@ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- *CORRECTION* December 2020 graduation: Time flies and Fall graduation is right around the corner. While planning is just beginning, please hold Monday, December 14th for now.
Please know that we are available throughout the summer via virtual appointments or email. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs
University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing