SON Updates: Week of July 20, 2020
Dear School of Nursing Students,
The conversations that began during last week’s Virtual Student Hours have generated some recent updates which are listed below.
- Penn Wellness: Students shared a concern about Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) not being available to students living outside of the Philadelphia area. This is incorrect. For a full listing of services provided by CAPS, please click here. Erika Gross from Penn Wellness will join this week’s 12:00 p.m. Virtual Student Hours to discuss the services provided by SHS and CAPS, and to answer your additional questions.
- PennOpen Pass: All students must enroll in PennOpen Pass, a digital tool/app for daily symptom checks to reduce the risk of COVID-19 to the Penn community and beyond. To learn more about PennOpen Pass, click here.
- Housing after Thanksgiving: “Can I stay in on-campus housing after the Thanksgiving weekend if I am continuing to take part in clinical or simulation experiences?”. While there is no definitive answer to this yet, we assume if this does become permissible, students will need to stay in the local area for the Thanksgiving weekend.
- Penn Student Campus Compact: The 2020-2021 Student Campus Compact outlines the University’s behavioral expectations for Penn students in re-opening living and learning in our campus community.
- SON Student Clinical Compact: The SON is currently developing its own Student Clinical Compact, specific to those students who intend to return to in-person clinical and simulation experiences. More details will be shared as they become available.
- SON Student FAQ: While information updates are ongoing, the SON is in the process of creating a specific FAQ web page for Fall 2020. We will be working with the SON Communications team and our student leaders to develop this page. If you have suggestions for the FAQ page, please email them to Dann Truitt @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
As I have shared in previous emails, please know that we are available throughout the summer via virtual appointments or email. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs
University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing