Security Tools & Resources
Data Sharing and Storage
- Secure Share: Secure Share enables the secure exchange of sensitive data files among faculty, staff, and students.
- Encrypted Shared Drive: Set up a secure, collaborative space to store sensitive research data and files. Contact the ITS Service Desk to set up a new encrypted shared drive location.
- Penn+Box: A Cloud-based collaboration service for securely managing and sharing files and folders within the Penn community and externally.
- REDCap: REDCap is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations.
Mobile Device Security
- Laptop Encryption: If a portable device contains sensitive data (patient health information, student grades, etc.) it should be encrypted in case the device becomes lost or stolen. Contact the ITS Service Desk for assistance setting up laptop encryption.
- eduroam: A secured wireless network that allows students, faculty and staff to use their Penn credentials to access wireless network services when visiting other eduroam participating institutions. For more information about eduroam, click here.
Account and Password Protection
- LastPass Password Vault: A secure password manager which will allow you to use different, complex passwords across multiple accounts.
- Two-Step Verification: Provides an added layer of protection when accessing PennKey-protected web sites and applications.
- DUO Authenticator App: An authenticator app generates verification codes for Penn WebLogin. In the case of the Duo Mobile app, you can also receive automated push notifications that you tap and approve.
- Password Reset: If you need to reset your password for your PennO365 Email Account, School of Nursing Account or PennKey you can do so at our website.
- Antivirus Protection: Penn provides you with Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus software at no cost to help secure your computer and the data stored on it.
- Free Software: Penn provides a wide range of recommended software for its users. For more information and download links, please see the Supported Computing Products website.
- Secure Your Information: Penn takes various measures to secure your confidential information, and we depend on you to do the same.
- Secure Your Information: Steps to protect your confidential information and the University computing assets.
- Phishing: Information on how to protect yourself from phishing scams and copies of recent phishing email messages sent to the Penn Community.
- Information Security Essentials: This online training is offered through Knowledge Link and consists of three short videos targeted to raise awareness about Computer Compromises, Passwords & Phishing and Lost or Stolen Data & Devices.
Data Security on Foreign Travel: Key information and security recommendations on how to protect Penn systems and data while abroad.