Visiting the Archive
The Barbara Bates Center will resume in-person research visits as of September 15, 2021 with updated research access policies to comply with the University’s policy on COVID-19.
LOCATION AND HOURS
- The Center is located in Suite 2U, Claire M. Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard. Directions to Claire Fagin Hall. The main entrance to the School is located on Guardian Drive.
- The building is handicap accessible.
- To tour the reading room or Center, please schedule an appointment prior to your visit.
- The Center is closed for official University holidays.
- No bags, food, or drinks are permitted in the Ellen D. Baer Reading Room.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
COVID-19 POLICY UPDATE
- In accordance with the University of Pennsylvania, all visitors to the Center, regardless of vaccination status, must wear a mask during their visit. The mask must cover the mouth and the nose.
- Visitors to the Center who have been exposed to COVID-19 or feel ill should not come to the Center and should instead email email@example.com to re-schedule their appointment for a later date.
- Researchers must sign the supplemental researcher access form in order to conduct research at the Center.
- The Center does have limited remote research capabilities for those who are unable to comply with these policies.
The University requires visitors to campus and to University-sponsored events and gatherings to be fully vaccinated and to comply with mask requirements.
SCHEDULING A VISIT
- Before visiting the Center researchers should consult the Online finding aids to the Center’s collections and provide staff with a full listing of requesting research materials, including collection name, box number, folder number and series (if applicable).
Researchers must make an appointment prior to visiting the Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-in researchers cannot be accommodated.
- If you have never used our archives, you will need to review the Reading Room Rules on the researcher application. All researchers must fill out and sign an application prior to their visit. A valid form of photo identification must accompany the signed application in order to access the archives for the first time in a calendar year.
- Members of our archival staff are available to conduct research as a fee-based service on a case by case basis. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- The Center reserves the right to review all archive requests for restricted access, box counts, and scheduling availability.
- The Barbara Bates Center and Ellen D. Baer Reading Room are open to researchers by appointment only Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM (closed from 1:00 - 2:00 PM daily).
GUIDE TO THE ARCHIVE
- If you have been to an archive before but need a refresher guide on what information is on a finding aid, check out our quick guide.
- If you have never visited an archive before, we recommend learning the parts of a finding aid to help you plan your visit.
- Need help guiding your research to make your visit more efficient? Consider these questions:
- What’s your paper/research topic? Identify and clarify which questions you intend to answer as you research.
- What are you looking to find at the nursing history archive?
- After reviewing the finding aids, which collections do you want to look at?
- What are you looking for in these collections? What themes are you hoping to uncover? Are there specific types of documents (letters, reports, etc.) that you would like to view?
Barbara Bates Center for the Study of the History of Nursing
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Claire M. Fagin Hall
418 Curie Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4217