The fall 2019 seminar series offers an exciting lineup of prominent scholars who will present new historical scholarship.
We’ve joined forces with the other schools at Penn to promote diversity and inclusivity in ways that make our community better for all who study here.
What does diversity mean to us? We broadly define it as encompassing (at minimum): racial, ethnic, and cultural heritage; gender, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; nation of origin; veteran status; disabilities; religious affiliation, beliefs and observance; and scholarly discipline.
We are working to increase the diversity of our incoming classes at all levels, and continuing to grow the diversity of our faculty through both local and global outreach efforts. We envision an environment that thrives on the diversity we cultivate here, and we invite anyone interested to become involved with our efforts.
Our Diversity Action Plan
There are four main tenets of our diversity action plan:
- To change the face of academic nursing so that it reflects the diversity of our global society.
- To foster a climate that attracts, retains, and promotes diverse faculty members, with a special focus on groups who are traditionally underrepresented in academic nursing.
- To make our school a preeminent model of diversity and inclusivity among top-tier institutions.
- To support the integration of inclusivity, social justice, gender sensitivity, and cultural knowledge into nursing science, education, and practice.
The Diversity and Inclusivity Committee (DIAC) serves as an advisory committee to the Dean and also as a catalyst for creating an inclusive School of Nursing environment.
Dr. Ross Johnson , Faculty Co-Chair
Practice Associate Professor of Nursing Biobehavioral Health Sciences
Heather Kelley, Staff Co-Chair
Deputy Director, RWJF Future of Nursing Scholars Past Chair, Penn Professional Staff Assembly
Amani Abdallah, Research Staff Representative
Project Manager for Community Engagement
Lucia Dinapoli, Administration Representative
Director of Strategic Initiatives for Administration
- Holly Marrone, Ex-officio, Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development
Dr. Lisa Lewis , Ex-officio
Calvin Bland Fellow, Associate Professor and Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusivity
- LaShauna Connell, Program Coordinator, Office of Diversity & Inclusivity Program Coordinator