Colleen Tewksbury, PhD, MPH, RD, CSOWM, LDN
Dr. Tewksbury’s work focuses on optimizing severe obesity treatment, including bariatric surgery. Her research has focused on assessing bariatric surgery processes, including preoperative optimization and weight bias in bariatric surgery. As a Registered Dietitian, she is passionate about food and nutrition’s role in weight management and advancing the field of dietetics.
“We prepare professionals to understand and address the complexity of weight in healthcare systems.”
- PhD, Temple University College of Public Health, 2018
- MPH, West Chester University, 2013
- BS, La Salle University, 2011
Weight bias is pervasive in clinical care. Dr. Tewksbury’s work aims to identify sources of weight bias, effects of those biases, and opportunities to reduce those biases.
Dr. Tewksbury teaches Obesity and Society (NURS3130/5130) and often serves as a guest lecturer on weight management, nutrition, and bariatric surgery. She also enjoys mentoring and collaborating with students across all levels and disciplines
Dr. Tewksbury’s research program focuses on severe adult obesity treatment and mechanisms to improve access and optimize outcomes. She is interested in the interdisciplinary systems providing care and how to improve operations. Specifically, Dr. Tewksbury’s research has assessed the role of preoperative requirements for bariatric surgery on utilization, surgical outcomes, and follow up. Dr. Tewksbury is interested in how interactions with the treatment team impact patient engagement and completion of care.
Opportunities to Learn and Collaborate at Penn Nursing
Dr. Tewksbury also serves as an Associate Adjunct Professor of Public Health in Surgery. She works collaboratively with the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program to provide clinical care as a Registered Dietitian and coordinate research within the bariatric program.
Selected Career Highlights
- 2019, Excellence Award in Emerging Research Outcomes, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group
- 2019, Emerging Dietetic Leader Award, Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2020-Present, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Spokesperson
- 2022-2025, House of Delegates Representative, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group
- 2020-21, Pennsylvania Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics President