Ann M. Kutney-Lee, PhD, MSN, RN, FAAN
Research Scientist at Philadelphia VA Medical Center
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biobehavioral Health Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Senior Fellow Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics
Dr. Ann Kutney-Lee is a Research Scientist at the PROMISE Center for the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center in Philadelphia, and is a Senior Fellow Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Kutney-Lee’s research is focused on the effects of nursing care organization on patient outcomes, redesigned systems that can work more efficiently to provide equitable and high-quality patient care, and the adoption of technological innovations (e.g. electronic health records) and how they are correlated to patient outcomes.
- 2014 Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- Top 15 Most Read Health Affairs Articles for 2013: “An increase in the number of nurses with baccalaureate degrees is linked to lower rates of post surgery mortality. Health Affairs, 32(3), 579-586.
- Kutney-Lee, A., Smith, D., Thorpe, J., del Rosario, C., Ibrahim, S., & Ersek, M. (2017). Race/ethnicity and end-of-life care among Veterans. Medical Care, 55 (4), 342-351.
- Kutney-Lee, A., Germack, H., Hatfield, L., Flick, P., Kelly, S., Del Guidice, M., & Aiken, L.H. (2016). Nurse engagement and patient and nurse outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration, 46(11), 605-612.
- Wall, B. M., Rogers, K., & Kutney-Lee, A. (2016). The North vs. the South: Conditions at Civil War hospitals. Southern Quarterly, 53(3/4), 37-55.
- Lake, E.T, Hallowell, S., Kutney-Lee, A., Hatfield, L., Del Guidice, M., Boxer, B., Ellis, L, … Aiken, L.H. (2016). Higher quality of care and patient safety associated with better NICU work environments. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 31(1), 24-32.
Ambani Z, Kutney‐Lee A, Lake ET. 2020. The nursing practice environment and nurse job outcomes: A path analysis of survey data. J Clin Nurs. 29: 2602– 2614. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15283
Kutney-Lee, A., Smith, D., Thorpe, J., del Rosario, C., Ibrahim, S., & Ersek, M. (2016). Race/Ethnicity and end-of-life care among Veterans. Under review.
Kutney-Lee, A., Brennan, C.W., Meterko, M. & Ersek, M. (2015). Organization of nursing and quality of care for Veterans at the end of life. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 49(3):570-7.
Kutney-Lee, A., Witkoski Stimpfel, A., Sloane, D.M., Cimiotti, J., Quinn, L.W., & Aiken, L.H. (2015). Changes in patient and nurse outcomes associated with Magnet hospital designation. Medical Care, 53(6), 550-557.
Lake, E.T, Hallowell, S., Kutney-Lee, A., Hatfield, L., Del Guidice, M., Boxer, B., Ellis, L, … Aiken, L.H. (2015). Higher quality of care and patient safety associated with better NICU work environments. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. In press.
Kelly, D.M., Kutney-Lee, A., McHugh, M.D., Sloane, D.M. & Aiken, L.H. (2014). Impact of critical care nursing on 30-day mortality of mechanically ventilated older adults. Critical Care Medicine, 42, 1089-1095.10.1097/CCM.0000000000000127
Kutney-Lee, A., Melendez-Torres, G.J., McHugh, M., & Wall, B.M. (2014). Distinct enough? A national examination of Catholic hospital affiliation and patient perceptions of care. Health Care Management Review, 39(2), 134-144. doi: 10.1097/HMR.0b013e31828dc491
- You, L.M.; Aiken, L.H.; Sloane, D.M.; Liu, K.; He, G.; Hu, Y….Kutney-Lee, A. & Sermeus, W. (2013). Hospital nursing, care quality, and patient satisfaction: Cross-sectional surveys of nurses and patients in hospitals in China and Europe.. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50(2), 154-161.PMID: 22658468
- Kutney-Lee, A., Sloane, D.M., & Aiken, L.H. (2013). An increase in the number of nurses with baccalaureate degrees is linked to lower rates of postsurgery mortality. Health Affairs, 32(3), 579-586.
- Brooks Carthon, M., Jarrin, O., Sloane, D.M., & Kutney-Lee, A. (2013). Variations in postoperative complications across race, ethnicity and sex among older adults. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 61(9), 1499-1507.