Regina S. Cunningham, PhD, RN, AOCN, FAAN
Chief Executive Officer, Hospital of the University Of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Adjunct Professor of Nursing, University Of Pennsylvania School Of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Dr. Cunningham is an accomplished nurse executive, scientist, and educator who has made significant contributions to advancing nursing practice and clinical care. Cunningham is currently Chief Executive Officer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Adjunct Professor and Assistant Dean for Clinical Practice at the University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing. She has extensive experience in the organization and delivery of nursing service across the care continuum, with particular expertise in the utilization of nursing resources in care delivery systems. In her former role as Chief Nurse Executive, she was responsible for a broad array of strategic and operational functions, including the development of professional practice standards, oversight of quality, and strengthening the integration of scholarship within the practice of nursing. Her research interests include the effect of nursing on outcomes, clinical trials, and innovative models of care delivery. She has been funded on numerous research initiatives and currently serves as Principal Investigator on a $1.7 million award from the National Cancer Institute focused on developing strategies to improve accrual to clinical trials. Dr. Cunningham received a baccalaureate degree from The College of Mount St. Vincent, a Master of Arts in the Delivery of Nursing Service from New York University, a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Pennsylvania, and then completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Yale University. She was selected as a Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nurse Fellow in 2006 and was inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing in 2014.
- Oncology Nursing Society Pearl Moore Making a Difference Award
- Nominee New Jersey Governor’s Award for Excellence in Nursing Administration
- American Cancer Society Doctoral Scholarship in Cancer Nursing
- The Cancer Institute of New Jersey Award for Leadership in Patient Care
- Hand, K., & Cunningham, R. S. (2014). Discharge Phone Calls. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing 18, 45-52.
- DiCicco-Bloom, B., & Cunningham, R. S. (2012). The experience of information sharing among primary care clinicians with cancer survivors and their oncologists. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 7, 124-130.
- Klibanski, A., Melmed, S., Clemmons, D. R., Colao, A., Cunningham, R. S., Moltich, M. E., Vinik, A. I., Adelman, D. T., & Liebert, K. J. (2010). The endocrine summit 2008: appraising therapeutic approaches for acromegaly and carcinoid syndrome. Pituitary, 13, 266-286.
- Hudson, S. V., Hahn, K. A., Ohman-Strickland, P., Cunningham, R. S., Miller, S. M., & Crabtree, B. F. (2009). Breast, colorectal and prostate cancer screening for cancer survivors and non-cancer patients in community practices. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 24, Suppl 2, S487-S490.