Caroline L. Doherty, MSN, AGACNP, BC, FACC
The Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP Streamlined Post-Masters is an innovate way to educate primary care nurse practitioners who have been working with the acutely ill so that they can become certified in acute care.
“We give acute care nurse practitioner students an extraordinary education and push them to achieve the most that they can.”
- DNP candidate , University of Pennsylvania, 2021
- Msn-Acnp, University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- BSN, Villanova University, 1988
Ms. Doherty was also part of a team of faculty who developed the Streamlined Post-Master’s Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program, introduced in 2012. The online and asynchronous program streamlines the preparation of primary care-certified nurse practitioners who have been working in acute care to be eligible for acute care certification. Ms. Doherty is program coordinator for the program, which consists of three courses.
Ms Doherty is the coordinator of the palliative care minor and post-masters. In this role, she serves as a mentor to students who want to expand their knowledge and skills related to patients with serious illnesses.
Opportunities to Learn and Collaborate at Penn Nursing
Inter-professional opportunities are also available to acute care nurse practitioner students through Penn Nursing’s simulation learning labs. Ms. Doherty worked with a team to develop inter-professional simulations as part of various courses. These simulations bring together nurse practitioner , pharmacist , and physician assistant students who evaluate simulated (robotic) patients with acute care problems. The team collaborates in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of each patient who presents with acute symptoms, and develops a plan of care.
In the classroom, Ms. Doherty guest lectures on topics such as breaking bad news and cardiovascular issues. She also advises undergraduate and graduate students on their studies and career opportunities after graduation.
Selected Career Highlights
Other Selected Career Highlights
- Content expert, national certification exam, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Co-chair, Palliative Care Working Group, American College of Cardiology
- Abstract reviewer, American College of Cardiology Annual Sessions
Jangland, E.; Becker, D.; Borjeson, S.; Doherty, C.; Grimm, O.; Griffith, P.; et al (2014). The development of a Swedish nurse practitioner program - a request from clinicians and a process supported by US experience. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 14(2), 38-48.10.5430/jnep.v4n2p38
Becker, D. & Doherty, C. (2012). Emerging Roles of the Advanced Practice Nurse. In L. Joel (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing:Essentials for Role Development.. (3rd Ed.)(19-39). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company.
- Doherty, C. (2010). Resistant hypertension or aortic stenosis? Know the difference. The Nurse Practioner: The American Journal of Primary Health Care, 35(5), 42689.
- Valettas, N., Rho, R., Beshai, J., Lloyd, C., Ross, H., Kocovic, D., Herrmann, H. (2003). Alcohol Septal Ablation Complicated by Complete Heart Block and Permanent Pacemaker Failure. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv., 58, 189-193.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., Herrmann, H., & Pavri, B. (2001). Vasospasm-Induced Heart Block. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 15(3), 105-108.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., & Doherty (1999). Differential Diagnosis of Supraventricular Tachycardia in an Elderly Man. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 13(2), 97-102.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., & Doherty, J. (1997). Case Study: Analysis of Dual Chamber Rate Responsive Pacing in Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 11(2), 82-85.
- Lambrew, C., Doherty, C. et al (2004). Working Grop 5: Innovative Care Models and Processes That Might Enhance Efficiency and Productivity. Journal of American College of Cardiology, 44(2), 251-255.
- Doherty, C. (2011). Resistant hypertension or Aortic Stenosis. Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 6(5), 13-16.
Becker, D. & Doherty, C. (2017) Emerging Roles of the Advanced Practice Nurse. In Advanced Practice Nursing: Essentials for Role Development. Ed Joel, L. 4th edition. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Co. (4th edition in press)