Penn Nursing Update - Week of May 2nd
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
We’re down to our final weekly email for the spring 2022 semester! This year has no doubt been a challenging one, from transitioning back to in-person classroom education to bi-weekly testing and trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy. You all have persevered and I am so proud of you! Before we begin Graduation celebrations and start the summer break, I wanted to leave you with some final updates and recurring reminders.
- University Update: An announcement on 4/22/22 was made about an update on campus masking policy. Masks are no longer required in indoor public spaces on campus. They continue to be required in classrooms, healthcare settings (simulation lab, clinicals, healthcare facilities), and Penn Transit.
- The University is operating at Protective Measures 1
- Covid positivity rates on campus have declined. The positivity rate as of 4/23/2022 is 6.87%, a nearly 50% drop from the week prior 😊. For more information, please see the COVID dashboard here.
- COVID Mitigation
- Testing is still required for those who are unvaccinated, are not yet fully vaccinated, or have not uploaded their booster information, all of whom continue to be required to test twice a week. Voluntary COVID-19 testing continues to be available for all members of the Penn community.
- The School of Nursing Graduation Ceremony is confirmed for Monday, May 16th at 3pm at the Kimmel Center in Verizon Hall.
- The Kimmel Center is requiring all guests to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (2 weeks past the 2nd dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 2 weeks past a dose of the J&J vaccine). Valid proof of vaccination (COVID-19 vaccine card) and a picture ID will need to be shown for entrance to the Kimmel Center. Please see this website for more information about their requirements. The Kimmel Center also requires masks to be worn in the facility.
- If you are graduating this year, continue to keep an eye out for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org that require action. I will be sending an email to graduates tomorrow about tickets, etc.
- BlueJeans Meetings: Account Access Ends June 30- Beginning Friday, July 1, 2022, BlueJeans Meetings will no longer be a centrally-supported tool for Penn users. Zoom and Microsoft Teams will become the primary supported meeting platforms at Nursing. Please read the full announcement with time-sensitive action about this change here.
- Mobile Printing via Web Browser from Laptops
- The ITS team has enabled the web/mobile printing feature for AirPennNet (previously it only worked over ethernet). Students should now be able to print from their personal laptops on AirPennNet by going to https://print.nursing.upenn.edu/ and logging in with their Nursing username and password. As long as there are funds in the account, you should be able to select the appropriate printer and print from the browser. Please note: You must be on AirPennNet for this to work – this will not work from AirPennNet-Guest or eduroam. If you have any questions, or need assistance connecting, please contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or stop by room 202.
CONTACTING THE OAA: As a reminder, we encourage students to refer to the contact table below for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Financial Aid Packages, Scholarships, Student Financial Concerns
Prospective Students, Submatriculation Application Inquires
Academic Policies & Procedures: Course Load, Course Selection, Academic Support & Resources, General Student Advising
Exposure to known or presumptive COVID-19 positive persons, Nursing- specific COVID testing questions, report non-academic personal travel
Course Registration Questions, Switching Clinical Sections
Clinical Compliance: Immunizations, Clearances
Education Verification, Good Standing & Enrollment Letters, State Board & Certification Paperwork
Friday, May 6th at 4:00PM | LGBT Center at 3907 Spruce St | Registration deadline: Sunday, May 1st
Graduating from Penn and identify as LGBTQ+? Attend the Lavendar Graduation where the focus is on you, your triumphs, and your hard work. Being involved with the Center is not required. To participate in the ceremony, graduates can register here. Family, friends, mentors, staff, and faculty are welcome to attend to cheer on the grads. If you cannot attend in-person, the event will also be broadcasted on Zoom
La Casa Latinx Graduation
Sunday May 15, 2022 | 1:30 p.m. -3:30 p.m. | Irvine Auditorium
La Casa Latina will be hosting a Latinx Ceremony at Irvine Auditorium on Sunday, May 15, 2022 from 1:30pm-3:30pm. Following the ceremony, on Monday, May 16, 2022, we are inviting everyone for a Brindis (cheers) event at La Casa Latina from 12pm-2pm.This will be a bilingual event, open to all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students receiving degrees. We will be featuring student, faculty, and alumni speakers of Latinx descent as well as performances by Latinx student/community groups. Our hope is to have a family engaged environment. We look forward to seeing you all in attendance! We are also looking for student speakers, the link to submit a video will appear in the thank you message when you register.
Learn more and register at https://latinxgraduationceremony.rsvpify.com
Support and Empowerment for Racial Trauma Among Black Students
Fridays from March 4th to May 6th, 2022, 2:00-3:15pm EST via BlueJeans
Student Counseling is putting together a support group for Black students at Penn to discuss experiences with racism and the impact on their mental and physical health and well-being. The group is open to undergraduate and graduate students who identify as Black/African American/part of the African Diaspora. See the attached flyer for information to register.
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements during the summer 2022 term which can be found archived online. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
On behalf of the OAA team, we wish you good luck as you begin finals this week! We look forward to seeing our Graduates at Franklin Field and the Kimmel Center!
Wishing you all a safe and fun-filled summer. Don’t forget to rest, recharge, and enjoy some sunshine this summer 😊. I’ll be taking my own advice and spending some time in my hometown at the Jersey Shore.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs