Penn Nursing Update - Week of February 28th
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
Tons of important information updates coming through the pipeline this week! Please thoroughly read the updates and recurring reminders below.
- Penn Nursing Statement on Ukraine- Penn Nursing stands in solidarity with Ukraine and its people. Penn Nursing supports the members of our community affected – directly and indirectly – by this war. The following is a list of resources you may find helpful during this time.
PENN NURSING RESOURCES:
Penn Nursing HR: Holly Marrone, Executive Director and Chief People Officer, Office of Faculty Affairs, HR & OD
Penn Nursing Office of Academic Affairs: Christina Costanzo, Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs
Penn Nursing Office of Equity & Inclusion: Lisa Lewis, Associate Dean for Equity & Inclusion
International Student and Scholar Services: 215-898-4661 (Students, Staff, & Faculty)
CAPS: (Penn Counseling and Psychological Services) 215-898-7021 (Students)
Student Health Service: 215-746-3535 (Students)
Student Intervention Services: 215-898-6081 (Students)
Office of the Chaplain: 215-898-8456 (Students, Staff, & Faculty)
Special Services (within Division of Public Safety): 215-898-6600 (Students, Staff, & Faculty)
Employee Assistance Program: 866-799-2329 (Staff & Faculty)
Providing Assistance: You may also find yourself wanting to provide assistance. The following reputable organizations seek assistance to provide care and alleviate suffering in Ukraine:
- CARE provides immediate food, water, and hygiene kits and additional support.
- International Committee of the Red Cross aids people affected by the conflict and supports the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross.
- International Medical Corps delivers primary healthcare and mental services.
- International Rescue Committee provides resources to refugees fleeing countries in crisis.
- Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders facilitates travel to healthcare facilities and access to prescribed medications.
- Project Hope provides medical support to countries in crisis.
- UNICEF supports health, nutrition, safe drinking water, sanitation, and protection for children.
- UN Refugee Agency provides emergency assistance to families in Ukraine, including cash assistance and opportunities for resettlement.
- Welcome Procession for the new Penn President
- If you are still on campus this Friday, please come cheer in the procession down Locust Walk in honor of M. Elizabeth Magill, Penn’s ninth President, on Friday, March 4, 2022, at 12:10! The procession will begin at Ben on the Bench at 12:10 p.m. and head down Locust Walk to the Ben Franklin statue on College Green.
- BlueJeans Meetings: Account Access Ends June 30- Beginning Friday, July 1, 2022, BlueJeans Meetings will no longer be a centrally-supported tool for Penn users. Zoom and Microsoft Teams will become the primary supported meeting platforms at Nursing. Please read the full announcement with time-sensitive action about this change here.
- University updates on COVID-19
- Announcement on 3/1/22- The University has extended the deadline to update your booster shot information to the Student Health Portal to March 14.
- Those who have not yet uploaded their information by the deadline, or are not yet booster-eligible, will be required to undergo screening testing twice each week. This requirement will be lifted once the information is uploaded.
- The School of Nursing Graduation Ceremony is confirmed for Monday, May 16th at 3pm at the Kimmel Center in Verizon Hall.
- The Kimmel Center requires all guests to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (2 weeks past the 2nd dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 2 weeks past a dose of the J&J vaccine). Valid proof of vaccination (COVID-19 vaccine card) and a picture ID will need to be shown for entrance to the Kimmel Center. Please see this website for more information about their requirements.
- If you are graduating this year, please also see the School of Nursing Graduation email that I sent earlier this afternoon.
- Penn’s Next Generation Student Systems, the new course registration platform, will be launching in March 2022. In light of the launch, the periods for Summer 2022 course registration and Fall 2022 advance registration have been adjusted on the main University Academic Calendar. Please view the calendar for exact dates.
- COVID Testing: Continue scheduling your screening tests! All fully vaccinated students are required to test every other week. Failure to do so will result in students receiving a RED PennOpen Pass. This is especially important for nursing students as it may affect their participation in clinicals.
- COVID Mitigation Measures: While highly encouraged, double masking or wearing a KN95/KF94/N95 mask is no longer required in campus buildings. However, you must still wear a mask in indoor spaces on campus.
CONTACTING THE OAA: As a reminder, we encourage students to refer to the contact table below for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Financial Aid Packages, Scholarships, Student Financial Concerns
Prospective Students, Submatriculation Application Inquires
Academic Policies & Procedures: Course Load, Course Selection, Academic Support & Resources, General Student Advising
Exposure to known or presumptive COVID-19 positive persons, Nursing- specific COVID testing questions, report non-academic personal travel
Course Registration Questions, Switching Clinical Sections
Clinical Compliance: Immunizations, Clearances
Education Verification, Good Standing & Enrollment Letters, State Board & Certification Paperwork
A Conversation with World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros
Friday, March 4, 2022 | 11 AM EST (5 PM CET)
Dr. Tedros will speak on the Covid-19 pandemic and focus on current negotiations around a WHO-proposed international treaty on pandemic preparedness and response. He will be joined by Dean Antonia Villarruel, Professor and Margaret Bond Simon Dean of Nursing.
Serve on the Penn Nursing Alumni Board!
The Penn Nursing Alumni Board is currently seeking to fill four student representative positions (one incoming undergraduate junior, one incoming undergraduate senior and two graduate students) whose terms will begin on July 1, 2022.
Penn Nursing Student Wellness: Tips and Treats
Friday, March 4, 2022 from 1:30-3:30 PM | Claire Fagin Hall Lobby
Spring break is here! Before you go, come by to pick up a special treat and leave a tip for your peers.
Support and Empowerment for Racial Trauma Among Black Students
Fridays from March 4th to May 6th, 2022, 2:00-3:15pm EST via BlueJeans
Student Counseling is putting together a support group for Black students at Penn to discuss experiences with racism and the impact on their mental and physical health and well-being. The group is open to undergraduate and graduate students who identify as Black/African American/part of the African Diaspora.
Save the Dates: Spring 2022 Virtual Colloquia
The ONR has put together an exciting schedule of virtual colloquia taking place over the course of the semester! Meet scholars and professionals, and gain insight to the various types of work they do in the nursing field. Each seminar will touch on a different health topic from grant writing to medical technology to Medicare policy.
2022 Penn Nursing Renfield Foundation Award for Global Women’s Health
Tuesday, March 29th, 3:00-5:00pm
The University of Pennsylvania, School of Nursing-Center for Global Women’s Health is pleased to invite you to the 2022 Penn Nursing Renfield Foundation Award for Global Women’s Health presentation that is taking place on March 29, 2022, from 3pm – 5pm. This year’s awardee is Gabriela Meléndez Peláez, a midwife who is receiving the award for her tireless work in addressing maternal health inequities in Guatemala.
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements in the Spring 2022 semester which can be found archived online. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
Wishing you all a wonderful Spring Break! Please stay safe.
And if you are travelling someplace warm, bring some warm sun back for me 😊.
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs