Penn Nursing Update - Week of February 7th
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
What a beautiful Friday in February! The sun is shining and temperatures were in the low 60’s this afternoon.
I’m reaching out with some recurring reminders and information updates.
- Graduation updates
- The School of Nursing Graduation Ceremony is confirmed for Monday, May 16th at 3pm at the Kimmel Center in Verizon Hall.
- The Kimmel Center requires all guests to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (2 weeks past the 2nd dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 2 weeks past a dose of the J&J vaccine). Valid proof of vaccination (COVID-19 vaccine card) and a picture ID will need to be shown for entrance to the Kimmel Center. Please see this website for more information about their requirements.
- Continue to keep your eyes peeled for graduation emails in the coming weeks. These emails will include info about University/School of Nursing ceremonies, reserving tickets, purchasing academic regalia, pinning and more.
- A email about Student Graduation Awards was sent out last week - submit your nominations by Monday, February 21st at noon to email@example.com.
- Penn’s Next Generation Student Systems, the new course registration platform, will be launching in March 2022. In light of the launch, the periods for Summer 2022 course registration and Fall 2022 advance registration have been adjusted on the main University Academic Calendar. Please view the calendar for exact dates.
- COVID Testing: Continue scheduling your screening tests! All fully vaccinated students are required to test every other week. Failure to do so will result in students receiving a RED PennOpen Pass. This is especially important for nursing students as it may affect their participation in clinicals.
- COVID Mitigation Measures: Don’t forget to mask up! Double masking is now required (layer a cloth mask on top of a disposable one) or wear a KN95 or N95 mask.
- Please be sure to read your emails thoroughly as not to miss any pertinent information about the School of Nursing.
CONTACTING THE OAA: As a reminder, we encourage students to refer to the contact table below for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Financial Aid Packages, Scholarships, Student Financial Concerns
Prospective Students, Submatriculation Application Inquires
Academic Policies & Procedures: Course Load, Course Selection, Academic Support & Resources, General Student Advising
Exposure to known or presumptive COVID-19 positive persons, Nursing- specific COVID testing questions, report non-academic personal travel
Course Registration Questions, Switching Clinical Sections
Clinical Compliance: Immunizations, Clearances
Education Verification, Good Standing & Enrollment Letters, State Board & Certification Paperwork
Faculty in Practice Panel Interest Form
The Faculty in Practice Committee is planning a Spring 2022 panel to engage students of all levels to learn more about the scholarship of faculty practice. Please answer the following form so we can gauge interest and provide the best information during the Faculty in Practice Panel event.
Save the Dates: Spring 2022 Virtual Colloquia
The ONR has put together an exciting schedule of virtual colloquia taking place over the course of the semester! Meet scholars and professionals, and gain insight to the various types of work they do in the nursing field. Each seminar will touch on a different health topic from grant writing to medical technology to medicare policy.
Penn Nursing Story Slam
February 16, 2022 | 7:00-8:30pm ET
Click the following link to learn more and sign up for this event: https://www.nursing.upenn.edu/calendar/view/event/event_id/3736/view/event
Call For Spring Student Pilot Proposalshttps://pilotgrants.nursing.upenn.edu/Proposal.Student proposals must be submitted to the portal by February 21, 2022. The Senate Research Committee and the Office of Nursing Research invite you to submit proposals for pilot funding for the Spring 2022 cycle. Proposals can be submitted via the Nursing Pilot Grant Portal. To access the portal, visit
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements in the Spring 2022 semester which can be found archived online. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
The COVID positivity rate for undergrads at Penn has continued to go up. For the week of 1/30-2/5, the campus positivity rate was 6.77% and the undergraduate positivity rate was 13.05%. Please continue to follow all health and safety guidelines so these numbers start to decrease.
Enjoy the weekend – the temperature is supposed to be almost 60 tomorrow!
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs