Penn Nursing Updates - Week of January 31st
Dear Penn Nursing Students,
I hope everyone is keeping warm and dry in this rainy weather. Be careful with the ice tonight and tomorrow morning!
I’m reaching out with some quick recurring reminders and information updates.
- Penn’s Next Generation Student Systems, which is the new course registration platform, will be launching in March 2022. In light of the launch, the periods for Summer 2022 course registration and Fall 2022 advance registration have been adjusted on the main University Academic Calendar. Please view the calendar for exact dates.
- Penn Nursing’s Graduation will be here before you know it! As we begin to make plans for the ceremony, please keep your eyes peeled for updates in the next few weeks. Emails about graduation will include info about University/School of Nursing ceremonies, purchasing academic regalia, pinning, diploma names, and more. I sent an email this evening about Graduation Student Awards. Please read these emails!
- COVID Testing: Schedule your screening tests! All fully vaccinated students are required to test every other week. Failure to do so will result in students receiving a RED PennOpen Pass. This is especially important for nursing students as it may affect your participation in clinicals.
- COVID Mitigation Measures: Don’t forget to mask up! Double masking is now required (layer a cloth mask on top of a disposable one) or wear a KN95 or N95 mask.
- COVID Positivity Rates: Positive rates increased for the week of 1/23-1/29. The campus positivity rate was 4.72%, a .5% increase from last week’s rate. However, the undergraduate positivity rate was 9.68% up from 4.09% the week before. It is important we continue to follow the campus public health and safety guidelines including those around indoor events that were sent to all students on February 1st.
CONTACTING THE OAA: As a reminder, we encourage students to refer to the contact table below for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Financial Aid Packages, Scholarships, Student Financial Concerns
Prospective Students, Submatriculation Application Inquires
Academic Policies & Procedures: Course Load, Course Selection, Academic Support & Resources, General Student Advising
Exposure to known or presumptive COVID-19 positive persons, Nursing- specific COVID testing questions, report non-academic personal travel
Course Registration Questions, Switching Clinical Sections
Clinical Compliance: Immunizations, Clearances
Education Verification, Good Standing & Enrollment Letters, State Board & Certification Paperwork
Save the Dates: Spring 2022 Virtual Colloquia
The ONR has put together an exciting schedule of virtual colloquia taking place over the course of the semester! Meet scholars and professionals, and gain insight to the various types of work they do in the nursing field. Each seminar will touch on a different health topic from grant writing to medical technology to medicare policy. The first seminar will be taking place on 2/9.
Submit Your Nominations: Penn Prize for Excellence in Teaching by Graduate Students
Who is the best Grad Student Teacher you ever had?
Recognizing excellence in teaching by graduate students across the University, the Penn Prize seeks nominations specifically from undergraduate and graduate students. This is your opportunity to acknowledge graduate students who, through their dedication to teaching, have had a profound impact on your education at Penn. Ten awards will be made.
Submit your nomination at: https://forms.gle/Srfj3sfiRJbMfTuD9
Nominations will be open until 11:59pm on 2/11/2022. Questions may be directed to Ian Petrie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tips and Treats by Penn Nursing Student Wellness
Friday, February 11 | 10:00am-12:00pm
Penn Nursing Student Wellness is bringing back Tips and Treats! Come grab a treat in the lobby of Claire Fagin Hall and leave a school tip for your fellow peers.
Penn Nursing Story Slam
February 16, 2022 | 7:00-8:30pm ET
Click the following link to learn more and sign up for this event: https://www.nursing.upenn.edu/calendar/view/event/event_id/3736/view/event
Call For Spring Student Pilot Proposalshttps://pilotgrants.nursing.upenn.edu/Proposal.Student proposals must be submitted to the portal by February 21, 2022. The Senate Research Committee and the Office of Nursing Research invite you to submit proposals for pilot funding for the Spring 2022 cycle. Proposals can be submitted via the Nursing Pilot Grant Portal. To access the portal, visit
The Office of Academic Affairs will continue to send regular email announcements in the Spring 2022 semester which can be found archived online. You can find a full listing of departmental contacts online here.
It’s the weekend - cheers!
Christina M. Costanzo, EdD
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Academic Affairs