Penn Nursing relies on the experience, skill and generosity of alumni volunteers to provide career advice to students and fellow graduates, support programs and events, recognize outstanding alumni, recruit prospective students, and advance the School and profession.
Whether you are available for just 15 minute blocks or can travel to campus multiple times a month, whether you live in Philadelphia or in London, work in direct-patient care or are taking a break in your career, there’s a volunteer position for you!
Many of our current opportunities are listed below. If you don’t see something that you are interested in, contact us. We would love to hear from you and appreciate your support.
- Alumni Board and Committees - Dedicated volunteers are needed to serve year-round on the Nursing Alumni Board and its Committees.
- Preceptors - Alumni preceptors are in demand!
- Student-Alumni Liaison Program - Each fall, local alumni host freshman at their workplace for a half day direct-patient care shadowing experience (scheduled at your convenience between Oct-Dec). Alumni of any degree level and year are asked to host 1-4 students for a one-time volunteer opportunity.
- Mentoring - The Penn Nursing Mentoring program is an opportunity for students and graduates to connect with experienced alumni mentors for a variety of career supporting opportunities including shadowing (when allowed), informational interviews, one time questions, ongoing mentoring, and more. Alumni offering to be mentors: Fill out the questionnaire to indicate your level of availability and expertise!
Please note: Students or grads wishing to connect with alumni mentors should fill out the student questionnaire.
Regional Event Host Committee - Support events taking place outside of Philadelphia by adding your name to a local Host Committee. Projects:
- Support event marketing efforts by inviting your local alumni and friend network
- Provide feedback on event planning
- Serve as on-site event hosts, greeting attendees and connecting alumni to one another and the School.
- Current Areas: Boston, Baltimore, Washington D.C., San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, New York, Denver, Atlanta and more. Suggestions welcome.
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours (email) in advance of the event at your convenience, 2 hours at the event
Preferred Skills: Well-connected; familiar with the local area and, ideally, the local Penn Alumni Club; able to generate enthusiasm; communication and marketing skills.
Virtual Nursing Interview Committee - Interview Penn Nursing undergraduate applicants, many by phone or skype, answering their questions about today’s School of Nursing and providing feedback to the Admissions Office. Projects:
- Conduct three or four applicant interviews a year (each lasting approximately 30 minutes) in person or virtually via Skype or phone
- Complete a short report about the meeting for the Admissions Office
- Opportunity to participate in college fairs and yield events throughout the admissions cycle
Time Commitment: 1-4 hours/month, October-February. Interviews can be coordinated to fit your schedule as necessary.
Preferred Skills: Positive undergraduate Penn Nursing experience (preferably a graduate of the last 10 years). Able to maintain confidentiality, excellent communication skills, comfortable with skype and technology in general, ability to discern qualified candidates.
LinkedIn Career Ambassadors - Using LinkedIn, provide career support for Penn Nursing students and alumni in various areas. Projects:
- Support the general alumni page or interest groups
- Actively post job advice and opportunities
- Suggest professional growth experiences
- Answer student and alumni questions
- Start a conversation or comment on a current post
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours/month, or as available; year-round, coordinated to fit your schedule.
Preferred Skills: LinkedIn user, collaborative, strong communication and networking skills, initiative, self-starter
Inquiries are welcome at any time. Remember: your involvement is essential in creating a dedicated, diverse board and committees that represent the greater alumni body!
For more information or your interest in the Board, Committees or other volunteer opportunities, please contact Nursingalumni@nursing.upenn.edu.