Penn Nursing relies on the experience, skill, and generosity of alumni volunteers to provide career advice to students and fellow graduates, support programs and events, recognize outstanding alumni, recruit prospective students, and advance the School and profession.
Available for 1 hour or multiple times a month? Living in Philadelphia or in London? Working in direct-patient care or taking a break in your career? No matter your situation, there’s a volunteer position for you!
Many of our current opportunities are listed below. If you don’t see something that you are interested in, contact us. We would love to hear from you and appreciate your support.
Preceptors - Alumni preceptors are in demand! The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing seeks highly qualified clinicians across Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey – and beyond. Your commitment to our students’ education is important, meaningful, and deeply appreciated.
- If you are interested in precepting for Penn Nursing, please provide us with some information on the following form.
- If you have additional questions, please contact: Alycia Bischof at email@example.com.
Student-Alumni Liaison Program - Each fall, local alumni host freshman at their workplace for a half day direct-patient care shadowing experience (scheduled at your convenience between Oct-Dec). Alumni of any degree level and year are asked to host 1-4 students for a one-time volunteer opportunity.
Mentoring - The Penn Nursing Mentoring program is an opportunity for students and graduates to connect with experienced alumni mentors for a variety of career supporting opportunities including shadowing (when allowed), informational interviews, one time questions, ongoing mentoring, and more.
Regional Event Host - Support events taking place outside of Philadelphia like conference happy hours or other regional events.
- Support event marketing efforts by inviting your local alumni and friend network
- Serve as on-site event hosts and greeting attendees
Time Commitment: 1-2 hours (email) in advance of the event at your convenience, 2 hours at the event
Preferred Skills: Well-connected; familiar with the local area and, ideally, the local Penn Alumni Club; able to generate enthusiasm; communication and marketing skills.
Virtual Nursing Ambassador Committee – Become a Penn Ambassador and connect with Penn Nursing undergraduate applicants by phone or video call, answering their questions about your experience at Penn’s School of Nursing and providing a summary of your conversation to the Admissions Office.
- Connect with four to five applicant virtually each year. Conversations last anywhere from 25-45 minutes and are conducted virtually via phone or computer. Complete a brief summary that provides insights into what you learned about each student through your interactions.
- To learn more, please visit the Ambassador Program’s website or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Time Commitment: 4-5 hours per month, October-February. Schedule conversations according to your schedule.
Preferred Skills: Ability to speak positively about their undergraduate Penn Experience. Able to maintain confidentiality, excellent communication skills, comfortable with scheduling and conducting phone or video calls and technology in general.
Inquiries are welcome at any time. For more information, please contact Nursingalumni@nursing.upenn.edu.