All doctoral programs start in September. If you are applying to our PhD program, we must receive your completed application by December 2 of the prior year.
A complete application includes the following:
- $80 non-refundable application fee
- Completed online application
- Written response to the doctoral essay question
- Three letters of recommendation: from each of the following sources: academic, employer, and professional; all letters of recommendation must be submitted online, without exception, through the online application
- Transcripts: unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be uploaded into the online application; official transcript are required if offered admission only.
- Official GRE scores: completed within the last five (5) years—please note: competitive applicants are expected to score in the 50th percentile on both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and 4.0 on the analytical writing section (submit scores to Institution Code 2911).
- Official results from the TOEFL or IELTS exam: taken within the last two (2) years (for non-native English speaking applicants with international degrees only); applicants who receive a BSN or MSN degree in the United States or Canada OR your undergraduate/graduate degree was conducted in English are exempt from this requirement. Additional information is available for international applicants.
- Copy of official RN license(s)
- Interview: we will contact you if you qualify for this step in the application process
One of the driving factors of our admissions decision is fit with faculty. You are encouraged to reach out to faculty who align with your research interests and may be a good mentor during your PhD program. Please review our faculty research interests here.
Our Graduate Admission Committee cannot properly evaluate a candidate or offer an interview until all required application items have been received.
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
418 Curie Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4217
Attention: Office of Enrollment Management
Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com.
Please visit our International Applicants page for further information.