Skip to main content

Understanding Your Aid

Financial Aid Options

Federal undergraduate level Direct Loans, School of Nursing grants, and scholarships are available for students in the Accelerated Nursing Program.

Federal Aid

If you file a FAFSA, you will likely be eligible for Federal undergraduate level Direct Loans. Depending on your financial need, Direct Loans may include a subsidized portion. You can see the loan amounts per status year on the Student Financial Services website.  

Depending on your financial need, and your status as federally dependent or independent, you may be eligible for the federal educational programs Nursing Student Loans and Work Study. Work study programs are a great way to help finance your education and are often part of financial aid packages. Open work study positions are listed through the Penn Student Employment Office.

Penn Nursing Grants

Determined through your admissions application, you may be eligible for Penn Nursing grant funds, which you do not need to pay back. The School of Nursing does not fully fund students in the Accelerated Nursing Program.

Your Financial Responsibility

You are responsible for paying the difference between your financial aid and your tuition, fees, and living expenses. To do this, you can use personal funds or apply for private (alternative to federal) loans.

You must:

  • Know that you will qualify for private or alternative loans.
  • OR have a co-signer in good credit standing who is willing to assist you in obtaining a loan.
  • OR have access to personal or family funds to make up the difference in your charges for attending the BSN portion of the program. 

Determining Your Aid Package

Financial aid at Penn Nursing is both need- and merit-based; federal eligibility is calculated with regard to your assets and FAFSA. We will use your financial aid application materials, taxes, and FAFSA. 

Our Accelerated Nursing program is recognized as an undergraduate program, therefore the 2022-2023 FAFSA needs to be submitted as a 5th year undergraduate. If you are over the age of 24 you will be considered independent for federal aid eligibility based on your level of financial need as determined through your FAFSA. If you are under the age of 24 your parent information is required to be submitted on the FAFSA (if you were born on or after January 1, 1999). 

Your financial aid notice will give you a breakdown of your tuition and fees, living expense budget, total cost of attendance, financial aid eligibility, and personal financial responsibility for each of the 4 terms in the Accelerated BSN portion of your Penn Nursing Program. 

Applying for Financial Aid

Until you earn your BSN in the Accelerated Nursing Program, you are only eligible for undergraduate financial aid. To be considered for financial aid, Penn Nursing grant funds, and federal aid, you need to submit the following documents.

Deadline for these documents: December 15th, 2021:

  • Your 2020 Federal Income Tax Returns (including all pages, schedules, and W2s)
  • 2022-2023 FAFSA 
    • Your parents’ 2020 Federal Income Tax information will be required to be submitted on your 2022-23 FAFSA if you were born on or after January 1, 1999. 

You can find the Penn forms you need at the Accelerated Nursing Program Financial Aid Checklist.  

Financial Aid After Your First Year

You don’t need to apply again for financial aid after your first year in the Accelerated Nursing Program. You will need to update your FAFSA information to continue to be eligible for federal aid for the last 2 terms of the accelerated BSN portion of your program.

In between your Spring and Summer terms of 2023:

  • File your 2021 taxes
  • Use those documents to file a 2023-2024 FAFSA

If you continue on to an MSN here at Penn Nursing, you’ll use a different financial aid application process. Learn about the MSN financial aid application process.  

Transfer Credits and Aid

Once your transfer credits are posted, you will be considered a junior and will be eligible for junior-level undergraduate federal loans.

During your junior year (Fall 2022-Spring 2023) you will be eligible for junior-level federal loans. 

During your senior year (Summer 2023 and Fall 2023 terms) you will be eligible for senior-level federal loans. 

Reporting Outside Scholarships

To report an outside scholarship, follow the instructions at Outside/Sponsored Scholarships

More scholarship information

For more information on scholarships, visit our External Scholarships page or one of the sites below:

As always, if you have any questions, we are here to help.