Beth Quigley, MSN, RN, CRNP
Each week, students have lectures, co-taught by Ms. Quigley and Connie B. Scanga, PhD, anatomy and physiology laboratory work with Dr. Scanga, and clinical nursing laboratory work to learn physical assessment skills with Ms. Quigley. The physical assessment work includes simulation with manikins to assess body systems, case studies, and using electronic health records (EHRs) to document care.
Penn Nursing was one of the first schools to use EHRs, starting as a pilot in Ms. Quigley’s courses. Students use the same EHR system as the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania to document care for fictional patients. This prepares them for their clinical placements and their careers as nurses.
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, 1989
- BSN , Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 1984
After earning her MSN as an adult nurse practitioner at Penn Nursing, Ms. Quigley joined the faculty. She had been working as a nurse and clinical coordinator at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and initially had a joint appointment there and at Penn Nursing. Since 1991, Ms. Quigley has been a lecturer at Penn Nursing.
Ms. Quigley is the co-author of Bates Nursing Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, which is used at Penn Nursing, including in her course, and throughout the nation. To help students make the transition from classroom to clinical practice, in 2015, Penn Nursing began offering interactive components with the book through CoursePoint and PrepU. CoursePoint includes quizzes and tests used in Integrated Anatomy, Physiology, and Physical Examination. PrepU lets students prepare for, and practice taking, the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s NCLEX-RN exam.
Opportunities to Learn and Collaborate at Penn Nursing
Selected Career Highlights
- Provost Award, University of Pennsylvania
- Student Nurses Association Education/Teaching Award, Penn Nursing
- Family & Community Health Department Mentoring Award, Penn Nursing
- Teaching Award for Non-Standing Faculty, Penn Nursing
- Appointed Ambassador, National League for Nursing
Townsend, K., Corry, J., Hogan-Quigley, B. & George, M. (2012). A feasibility study of Q-sort to determine recall of skin test results and environmental remediation education. Journal of Asthma, 49(1), 83-89.
- Hogan-Quigley, B., Palm, M.L., & Bickley, L. (2012). Bates nursing guide to physical examination and history taking (1st Ed.). . Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Bonaduce, J. & Quigley, B. (2010). Florence�s candle: educating the millennial nursing student. Nurse Practitioner Forum, 46, No.3, 157-159.
- Quigley, B. (1998). Nursing students learn culturally competent nursing care. Nursing Spectrum, October, 24.
- Quigley, B. (1996). Drug addiction: a road to recovery. Nursing Spectrum, August, 1, 6.
- Houldin, A. & Quigley, B. (1996). Psychological interventions for older hip fracture patients: a pilot study. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, January, 10.
- Quigley, B. (1991). A memorable moment. Nurse: Heart and Hands, 1, 140-141.