Franklin A. Shaffer, EdD, Sc D, RN, FAAN, FFNMRCSI
President and Chief Executive Officer, CGFNS International, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Shaffer earned his doctorate in nursing administration and nursing education at Columbia University and has 50 years of progressive and varied nursing experience which includes administration, education, clinical and research. He is a frequent speaker and consultant at domestic and international conferences and conventions around the world.
His recent work includes the National Nursing Assessment Service project which provides a leading-edge technology-based assessment system to evaluate the credentials of foreign-educated nurses seeking licensure across provinces in Canada. Dr. Shaffer is also a principle investigator for the International Labor Organization’s Decent Work Across Borders Initiative, focusing on comparative analyses of nursing education and migration issues involving Denmark, Finland, India, Norway and the Philippines.
Through his passion for nursing and research Shaffer has authored eight books, and co-authored numerous publications including, “Document Forensics: Evaluating and Verifying Nurse Credentials”, for the Journal of Nursing Regulations, Drs. Shaffer, Phillips and Tuttas, co-authors and “Human Resources for Health 2030 and the regulatory agenda,” for the Journal of Nursing Management, Drs. David Benton and Franklin Shaffer, co-authors.
Represents the largest credentialing organization in North America for nursing in the professional and international community as a resource, expert, and leader in health professions migration, education, regulation, and credentialing.
- Benton, David C., PhD, RN, FRCN, FAAN, Shaffer Franklin A., EdD, RN, FAAN, FFNMRCSI, “Human Resources for Health 2030 and the regulatory agenda,” Volume 24, Issue 6, September 2016, Journal of Nursing Management.
- Shaffer, Franklin A., EdD, RN, FAAN, FFNMRCSI, Bakhshi, Mukul, JD, To Dutka, Julia, EdD, Phillips, Janice, PhD, RN, FAAN, “Code for ethical international recruitment practices: The CGFNS Alliance Case Study,” Volume 14, Suppl 1, June 2016, BioMed Central, Human Resources for Health.
- Shaffer, Franklin A., EdD, RN, FAAN, FFNMRCSI, Robinson, Mary Anne, MSA, RN, To Dutka, Julia, EdD, Tuttas, Carol, PhD, RN, “A New Model for Assessing Entry-Level Education of Internationally Educated Nurses: A Retrospective Perspective,” Volume 6, Issue 4, January 2016, Journal of Nursing Regulations.
- Shaffer, Franklin, A., EdD, RN, FAAN, Guest Editor for Nurse Leader for section, “International Features,” Volume 13, Issue 5, October 2015, Nurse Leader.
- Shaffer, Franklin, A., EdD, RN, FAAN, Buchan, James, PhD, DPM, MA, “The WHO Code and US Nursing,” Volume 13, Issue 5, October 2015, Nurse Leader.
- Shaffer, Franklin A., EdD, RN, FAAN, Hussey, Pamela, PhD, MSc, MEd, RN, RCN, Adams, Elizabeth, MSc, HDip (Stats), Dip (Phy & Chem), Dip (Counseling), Dip (Mgt), RGN, FFNMRCSI, “Nursing Informatics and Leadership, an Essential Competency for Gl;obal Priority: eHealth,” Volume 13, Issue 5, October 2015, Nurse Leader.
- Shaffer, Franklin, A., EdD, RN, FAAN, Bakhshi, Mukul, JD, Kim, Esther M., MSN, EN, CNRN, “Business Case for Ethical Recruitment,” Volume 13, Issue 5, October 2015, Nurse Leader.