James Buchan, PhD, DPM, MA(hons)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Technology, (UTS), Sydney, Australia (WHO Collaborating Centre)
- Professor, Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne
- Professor, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
- Professional Adviser, Centre for Workforce Intelligence, National Health Service (NHS), England
- Senior Policy Associate, European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, WHO, Brussels.
- Fellow, Institute for Employment Studies, UK
- Professor Catedrático Convidado, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal (WHO Collaborating Centre)
Dr Buchan has thirty years experience of policy research on health sector human resources, specializing in the nursing workforce and in international and national level strategy, policy and planning; pay, incentives and reward strategy; and labour market analysis.
Professor James Buchan is based in the School of Health Sciences. He is also an Associate at the WHO European Observatory on Health Systems, and an adjunct professor at the University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. He is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the European Health Management Association (EHMA).
- WHO Europe, Copenhagen, Consultant, supporting development of regional HRH strategy
- WHO Geneva, Consultant- expert peer reviewer and participant in developing policy and analytical papers in support of High Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth
- WHO South East Asia, Consultant, advising on future direction of support for HRH in the region
- WHO Myanmar Consultant, preparing policy briefs on education and retention
- Harkness Fellow, University of Pennsylvania
- Buchan, J., Duffield, C. and Jordan, A. (2015), ‘Solving’ nursing shortages: do we need a New Agenda?. Journal of Nursing Management, 23: 543–545. doi: 10.1111/jonm.12315
- Buchan, J., Twigg, D., Dussault, G., Duffield, C. and Stone, P.W. (2015), Policies to sustain the nursing workforce: an international perspective. International Nursing Review. doi: 10.1111/inr.12169
- Buchan J (2014) Right time, right place? New evidence on effective health workforce distribution and retention. BMC Health Services Research 2014, 14(Suppl 2):O19
- Buchan, J., A. Kumar and M. Schoenstein (2014),Wage setting in the Hospital Sector, OECD Health Working Papers, No. 77, OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5jxx56b8hqhl-en
- Buchan J, Wismar M, Glinos I, Bremner J (eds). Health professional mobility in a changing Europe. New dynamics, mobile individuals and diverse responses World Health Organization 2014/ European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Professor James Buchan
- Campbell J, Dussault G, Buchan J et al (2013) A universal truth: no health without a workforce. Third Global Forum on Human Resources for Health Report. GHWA/ WHO.