Caroline L. Doherty, MSN, ACNP, BC, AACC
As more Americans become insured through the Affordable Care Act, the need for primary care nurse practitioners is also increasing. Penn Nursing’s involvement in the Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services’ Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration is an effort to fill that gap.
Penn is one of five sites nationally participating in the program, managed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in collaboration with Penn Nursing. The Penn consortium includes eight other nursing schools in the region.
“We give acute care nurse practitioner students an extraordinary education and push them to achieve the most that they can.”
- MSN-ACNP, University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- BSN , Villanova University, 1988
Opportunities to Learn and Collaborate at Penn Nursing
Inter-professional opportunities are also available to acute care nurse practitioner students through Penn Nursing’s simulation learning labs. Ms. Doherty develops inter-professional simulations as part of various courses. These simulations bring together nurse practitioner , pharmacist , and physician assistant students who evaluate simulated (robotic) and standardized patients with acute care problems. The team collaborates in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of each patient who presents with acute symptoms, and develops a plan of care.
In the classroom, Ms. Doherty guest lectures on topics such as breaking bad news and cardiovascular issues. She also advises undergraduate and graduate students on their studies and career opportunities after graduation.
Selected Career Highlights
- Other Selected Career Highlights
Content expert, national certification exam, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification Exam, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Member, Geriatrics Section and Palliative Care Working Group, American College of Cardiology
- Abstract reviewer, American College of Cardiology
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing and American Journal of Critical Care
- Jangland, E.; Becker, D.; Borjeson, S.; Doherty, C.; Grimm, O.; Griffith, P.; et al (2014). The development of a Swedish nurse practitioner program - a request from clinicians and a process supported by US experience. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 14(2), 38-48.10.5430/jnep.v4n2p38
- Becker, D. & Doherty, C. (2012). Emerging Roles of the Advanced Practice Nurse. In L. Joel (Eds.), Advanced Practice Nursing:Essentials for Role Development.. (3rd Ed.)(19-39). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company.
- Doherty, C. (2011). Resistant hypertension or Aortic Stenosis. Journal of Critical Care Nursing, 6(5), 13-16.
- Doherty, C. (2010). Resistant hypertension or aortic stenosis? Know the difference. The Nurse Practioner: The American Journal of Primary Health Care, 35(5), 42689.
- Lambrew, C., Doherty, C. et al (2004). Working Grop 5: Innovative Care Models and Processes That Might Enhance Efficiency and Productivity. Journal of American College of Cardiology, 44(2), 251-255.
- Valettas, N., Rho, R., Beshai, J., Lloyd, C., Ross, H., Kocovic, D., Herrmann, H. (2003). Alcohol Septal Ablation Complicated by Complete Heart Block and Permanent Pacemaker Failure. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv., 58, 189-193.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., Herrmann, H., & Pavri, B. (2001). Vasospasm-Induced Heart Block. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 15(3), 105-108.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., & Doherty (1999). Differential Diagnosis of Supraventricular Tachycardia in an Elderly Man. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 13(2), 97-102.
- McCauley, K., Lloyd, C., & Doherty, J. (1997). Case Study: Analysis of Dual Chamber Rate Responsive Pacing in Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 11(2), 82-85.