HUP’46, ED’50, GNu’65
Nadine Landis has served the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for over 40 years in a capacity of professional leadership, beginning with her position as head nurse in the Neuro-Surgical Operating Room to her eventual appointment as Director of Nursing Administration, after receiving her Master’s degree. At the time, Nadine was also extending her reach into the larger Penn community through alumni and community associations. Her leadership with the HUP Nursing Alumni Association began with her Presidency in 1956 and has been a constant since that time. She has served on the Executive Board and as the Archives Committee Chairperson.
In 1985, Nadine joined the Advisory Board of newly founded Center for the Study of the History of Nursing as a charter member, where she illuminated the illustrious history of nursing education and practice as well as that of the HUP Nursing program. She assisted in creating “Our Legacy,” a video documenting the history of the HUP School of Nursing and she assembled “Pictorial Treasures from our Past” (1966), which captures the story for each decade from 1886 to 1978. In addition, she assisted in preparing the book entitled, “First Fifty Years, Training School for Nursing, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 1886-1936.” These works have connected many HUP Nursing alumni with the School and the University and helped record and preserve the HUP Nursing legacy at Penn. Nadine received the 2001 HUP Distinguished Alumnus Award honoring graduates who have made outstanding and significant contributions. In 2002, Nadine received the Legacy Award from the School of Nursing Society of the Alumni and she received Penn’s highest recognition, the Alumni Award of Merit, in 2003 for collecting and sharing the history of nursing education at Penn.