• Acceptance into an approved doctoral program at the University of Pennsylvania. LINK TO UPENN SCHOOL OF NURSING PREDOCTORAL PROGRAM SITE
• A Bachelor's or Master's degree from an accredited nursing program with an average at the Master's level of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
• A combined verbal and quantitative score of at least 1200 on the Graduate Record Examination
• Recommendations from at least three individuals who have known the applicant in a professional capacity that address the applicant's research potential
• Essays written by the applicant discussing her/his motivation for doctoral study, career goals, research interests, strengths that will be brought to the doctoral program, and views concerning major issues in contemporary health care. The essays should reflect an understanding of professional issues and insights related to their resolution.
• Personal interview
Applicants for funding must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Funding includes support of tuition and fees, limited research and travel expenses, and health insurance.
Criteria for Appointment of Pre-Doctoral Fellows
The four most important criteria for appointment to a Pre-Doctoral Fellowship associated with a T32 institutional training grant are:
• Match with the overall goals and objectives of the training grant and affiliated Center.
• Match with the T32 and Center-affiliated faculty advisor.
• Scholarly potential for nursing science inquiry that has a high impact.
• Commitment to a research career in a research intensive environment.