Our MSN-PhD program is for highly motivated nursing students who have their undergraduate degree and are seeking both a Masters of Science in Nursing, as well as their PhD.
All doctoral programs start in September. Please note that MSN-PhD applications are due by November 1; this allows a decision to be made on the MSN application prior to the PhD deadline.
A complete application includes the following:
- $80 non-refundable application fee
- Completed online application
- Essay responses: to the doctoral essay question, as well as to the two MSN essay questions
- Three letters of recommendation: from each of the following: academic, employer, and professional; all letters of recommendation must be submitted online, without exception, through the online application
- Official transcripts: from all colleges and universities attended, (send via mail/email, addresses listed below)
- Official GRE scores: completed within the last five (5) years—please note: competitive applicants are expected to score in the 50th percentile on both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and 4.0 on the analytical writing section (submit scores to Institution Code 2926 or 2911)
- Official results from the TOEFL or IELTS exam: taken within the last two (2) years (for non-native English speaking applicants only); additional information for international applicants below
- Copy of official RN license(s)
- Interview: we will contact you if you qualify for this step in the application process
Our Graduate Admission Committee cannot properly evaluate a candidate or offer an interview until all required application items have been received.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions about submitting applications to both the Master’s and PhD programs.
Application materials not submitted electronically can be sent to:
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
418 Curie Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4217
Attention: Office of Enrollment Managem ent
Electronic transcripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to all required application materials listed above, international applicants to the doctoral program must submit the following items:
- Evaluation of all transcripts: by either World Education Services or Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
- Official TOEFL or academic IELTS results: taken within the last two (2) years for all non-native English speakers; a minimum score of 100 on the internet-based TOEFL exam and a minimum combined score of 7.0 for the IELTS is required for our doctoral program
International applicants who have been accepted to the PhD program may be required to attend the University of Pennsylvania’s Summer English Language Program for International Teaching Assistants, the cost of which is to be paid by the student, but does include temporary housing. Students are required to pass a language proficiency examination upon the conclusion of this course (if not passed prior to admission).
International applicants are encouraged to contact Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for information on everything from immigration paperwork to the various resources Penn provides international students.