All MSN applicants must complete the requirements listed below unless otherwise noted. Some of our programs require additional qualifications. International applicants must also submit official transcript evaluations and English proficiency exam results.
*Streamlined Adult Gerontology Acute Care applicants, please see the Post-Master’s page for requirements unique to this program’s application.
A complete application includes the following:
- $80 non-refundable application fee
- Completed online application
- Official transcripts: from your accredited BSN program and all undergraduate and graduate schools attended (send via mail/email, addresses listed below); unofficial transcripts may be uploaded for review purposes—please note: official transcripts can take up to six weeks to arrive at the School of Nursing after the initial request.
- Verification that you’ve completed the requisite statistics class
- GRE scores: if you have a GPA of 3.2 or higher, we do not require applicants to submit GRE scores. Check to see if you qualify for a GRE waiver. If you do not qualify, we require official scores for the GRE completed within the last five (5) years; competitive applicants are expected to score in the 50th percentile on both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE and 4.0 on the analytical writing section; (submit scores to Institution Code 2926 or 2911)
- Three letters of recommendation: from the following sources: academic, employer, and professional; all letters of recommendation must be submitted online, without exception, through the online application
- Responses to essay questions
- Copy of your active RN license(s): all master’s students are required to have an active Registered Nursing License(s) as progression into the clinical component requires an active Pennsylvania Registered Nursing License, and as specified by individual programs in Delaware (compact state) and New Jersey
- Interview: we will contact you if you qualify for this step in the application process
Please consult our master’s program admissions page for any additional admissions requirements (e.g., necessary work experience) and information on meeting requirements for national certification. While program curricula offered by the School of Nursing prepare students to sit for national certification within their specialty area, Nurse Practitioner program graduates may be required to complete additional state-specific requirements before being permitted to practice.
Application materials not submitted electronically can be sent to:
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
418 Curie Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4217
Attention: Office of Enrollment Managem ent
Electronic transcripts should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are required to have a Pennsylvania Registered Nursing License prior to beginning clinical rotations. If you do not have a Pennsylvania license but you are licensed to practice in another country, you must complete the CGFNS Certification Program. We need proof you’ve at least passed the CGFNS Qualifying Examination prior to reviewing your admissions application. See the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing website for more details.
If you are completing the NCLEX® in another state, please review the requirements to obtain a Pennsylvania Registered Nursing License. See Item 6: Licensure by Endorsement With Temporary Practice Permit.
*Exemptions: Streamlined Post-Master’s Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner applicants are exempt from the RN Licensure requirement, but must provide NP License(s). Please see our Post-Master’s page for program-specific requirements.
We strongly recommend that international students apply one year prior to the start of their desired program. In addition to all required application materials, you must submit one of the following transcript evaluations:
- A World Education Services (WES) International Credential Advantage Package,
a Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Credentials Evaluation Service full education course-by-course report (purpose: Academic) for all transcripts
Official copies of the report must be sent directly to the mailing address above.
Or, CollegeNet CertiFile International Credential Certification (CertiFile) offered through our online application.*Exemptions: Applicants to the Streamlined Post-Master’s Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program are exempt from this requirement. Please see our Post-Master’s page for program-specific requirements.
Please note: credentials evaluation for academic purposes is a separate application from the Certificate Program for licensure. Both are required. Applications will not be reviewed until Penn Nursing receives an official copy of a credentials evaluation for academic purposes and proof that you have passed the CGFNS Qualifying Exam for licensure (if applicable). Our review verifies official transcripts from accredited BSN programs and all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) schools attended submitted through CertiFile, CGFNS or WES.
Results from the TOEFL or the academic IELTS taken within the last two (2) years for all non-native English speakers. A minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL is required. The expected breakdown is as follows: Reading 26; Listening 26; Speaking 23 (26 is preferred); Writing 25. For the IELTS, a minimum combined score of 7.0 is required, with each subsection having scores of at least 7.0.
*Exemptions: Applicants to the Streamlined Post-Master’s Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program are exempt from this requirement. Please see our Post-Master’s page for program-specific requirements.
Applicants who have completed their BSN degrees in the United States, and who are non-native English speakers, may be eligible for the GRE waiver.
We encourage you to contact Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for information on everything from immigration paperwork to the various resources Penn provides international students.
*Exemptions: International applicants to the Streamlined Post-Master’s Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program are exempt from requirement.