Accelerated BSN Second Degree Admissions
The BSN Second Degree program is for those interested in getting a bachelor’s degree in nursing, but who are not sure of or interested in an advanced practice degree in Nursing, such as an MSN, DNP or PhD.
The application deadline is October 15th for entry in June 2019, applications will be available in early July 2018. Applicants will be notified of our decision in early February.
A complete application package consists of the following:
- Completed online application: please know that you may only apply to one program option, BSN Second Degree, BSN-MSN, or the Hillman BSN-PhD Program
- Personal statement: you will be given the question once you start the application process
- Two letters of recommendation: one of which must be academic; we urge you to choose recommenders who know you well enough to speak confidently as to your abilities and chances of success in this rigorous program; these must be submitted online, without exception, through the online application
- Official copies of all of your post-secondary transcripts: including transcripts for any classes you might have taken at a community college or while studying abroad (send via mail/email, addresses listed below)
- Standardized test results: The GRE is not required to apply to the BSN Second Degree program, but if you wish to submit scores the Institution code is 2926 or 2911.
A GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred. Experience in a healthcare field—be it through a volunteer position or work—is also highly regarded.
Application materials not submitted electronically can be sent to:
ATTN: Accelerated Nursing Programs
Office of Enrollment Management
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
Claire M Fagin Hall, Suite M-5
Philadelphia PA 19104-4217
Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com.
In addition to all required application materials listed above, you must submit your TOEFL results if you are non-native English speaker.
We encourage you to contact Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for information on everything from immigration paperwork to the various resources Penn provides international students.
Applying while still in another bachelor’s program
If you are currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program, and want to start one of our accelerated programs, you may go ahead and apply for admission. However, our decision and your ability to matriculate will depend on the successful completion of your bachelor’s degree. Since all prerequisite courses must be completed before you can start the program in June, it is recommended that current students complete their degree by May 31st. Please note we accept courses completed online.
You may also go ahead and apply to the program while you work on your prerequisites; however, they must be completed before you can begin your studies with us.